Where to Buy Scanner in Calgary

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsunsDriver

Hi,
Does anyone know if there are any places in Calgary that sells scanner? if so what are their prices?
Anyone recommend a good place (even online) to get one that ships to Alberta with minimal shipping charges?
Thanks.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I think NTF Communications over behind the Husky at 32 x Barlow still has scanners. Ham Radio

The last time this came up, prices at Durham Radio and Radioworld (both in Ontario) were especially high in comparison to prices from American retailers like Scanner Master (look up at the top of this page for a link).

JRPhotography

Photographer
I also puchased my last scanner from Durham. I have been looking to buy a BC346XT and when comparing prices Durham ($395 CA inclds $15.00 ship) is equal if not better than Scanner Masters ($285 US includs $70 ship).

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Fair enough, that's changed then since the last time I priced out the Canadian mail order sites. When I was purchasing my 396, it was something like $525 from the US vs $800 or $900 from DR and RW.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I found the same as Jay when I bought my Uniden 996XT. Durham wanted over 600 dollars, plus shipping and GST and Scanner Master had it for $495 plus shipping and GST. Keep in mind the US and Canadian dollars are now very close. I feel for the Canadian suppliers who bought stock when the dollar wasn`t close to parity. ScannerMaster also got it here with the Butel Software in record time.

I just went to the RR database and downloaded the new Red Deer, Saskatchewan and Calgary systems in a few seconds. ScannerMaster also advertised RR Premium memberships on their web page.

Harry

smason

I was in San Diego a couple weeks ago, and couldn't pass up the opportunity to get a Pro 106 for $399.
I had some gift cards saved up and was going to pay the big bucks at the Source, glad I didn't.

So my PSR-600 and Pro-106 were both purchased in the US while the Canadian dollar was at par, or close. $399 and $414. Can't get close to that anywhere around here!

RedsunsDriver

thanks for the suggestions.
Buying it in Canada is defintely going to be >500 bucks for a digital one.
I might just wait for a used one from Ebay, or wait till i go down to the states.
Too bad I don't live close to the border, or else i can just ship it to the states and pick it up.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that U.S. sellers that can ship USPS are best. Then when it arrives at your door step you are only faced with a $5 brokerage charge and GST. Gone are the days of extra duty on electronics. With UPS you are charged a much higher brokerage in the area of $40.

But just when I was bragging up Scanner Master I went to order a $19 mag mount antenna and I found that shipping would be about $28. I will phone them or email in hopes that is just a glitch in the system.

Harry

SCPD

QRT
Harry as you know, when you order from the states the shipping cost is always really high unless you can convince them to ship USPS. I wish that our postal service here wasn't such a scam.

I do agree that lots of the places in Ontario are probably ordering their stock from the states seeing as how our dollar is pretty good.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Shipping was $35 USD for my 996XT and I paid $33.38 CDN GST and brokerage.

Still cheaper than driving from Calgary to a post box in the states or a Radio Shack in Havre, Montana.
They do have a good selection of scanners though. I really also miss Glenn at Scanner Unlimited as he ran a first rate company.

I was feeling for the Canadian companies that bought stock when the dollar was not as good as it is now. But yes future stock should come a little cheaper locally if the Canuck dollars stays near the US buck.

Harry

HDMechanic

I would suggest NTF as he will take care of his customer and help with any warranty issues. I found when we deal with across the boarder it is hard to get coverage on warranty. That is the problem i ran into when about my grecom from the states. I found his prices not to bad. Thats my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.