Where to find a PSR 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

xusmarine1979

Well, I talked to the Mrs. and she's letting me get a PSR 500. Where's the cheapest place to find a new one with a warranty? Also, before I go and get me one, what are some things I need to look for when I get it?

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I did the same thing in late December.
  1. At the time, Scanners Unlimited would have been the cheapest because of no shipping, but I didn't want to wait that long for shipping from CA.
  2. Next was Scanner Master, which was no OH tax and the next best shipping rate.
  3. Universal Radio will charge OH tax + shipping, and Grove was higher on shipping compared to Scanner Master.
So, Scanner Master it was. No problems at all with online ordering.

xusmarine1979

Cool. Thanks for the great help guys. I currently own a Pro 96, for those that own both of these radios, how do they compare to recieving anything digital? Just curious... Also, if I purchase one through this dealer on ebay, will it come with the power cord, usb etc.

pogbobo

n2mdk said:
Yes it does, if you want to order by phone you can as well this is their regular site, http://www.lentinicomm.com/. not sure about free shipping if you order from them directly, but you cal always ask.

if you order from their website they charge you a flat $10 fee for shipping ... I would just order on ebay from them and get the free shipping! but hey, im poor so i try to save every penny :D lol

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
xusmarine1979 said:
Cool. Thanks for the great help guys. I currently own a Pro 96, for those that own both of these radios, how do they compare to recieving anything digital? Just curious... Also, if I purchase one through this dealer on ebay, will it come with the power cord, usb etc.

The 500 sounds great and recieves great on the digital side just like the 96. Tge 500 is actually even a little better than the 96 on digital with the latest firmware updates.

raisindot

pogbobo said:
if you order from their website they charge you a flat $10 fee for shipping ... I would just order on ebay from them and get the free shipping! but hey, im poor so i try to save every penny :D lol

Agree there. I also bought mine from Lentini through Ebay precisely because I didn't have to pay sales tax or shipping (ironically, Scannermaster is located less than a quarter of a mile from where I live, but if I had bought it through them I would have had to pay $25 in sales tax.) They also ship incredibly fast.

Suzie

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I have no other digital scanners to compare it to, but Lake County and MARCS P25 sound good. The scanner has a solid feel, the display is nice, and the memory is endless. I have 6 out of the 20 virtual scanners used and I can't imagine what else I'll use to fill it up. The programming is pretty easy, but I recommend you download and try Win500, which is excellent companion software.

Only complaint to date is the hot VHF (120 - 144) front end - it overloads easily on my discone, but not with a whip. Other bands receive fine.

It's a nice rig - you won't be sorry.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I can only speak of how well it does on MARCS and the Belmont County digital TGs - and I can only compare it to the BCD396/996 as far as the difference.

I find it to decode much better (no "motorboating" on MARCS with sufficient signal strength). My Jefferson Co MARCS scanner stream is using a PSR-500. However, it is not a good gauge since I'm now monitoring tower sites that are fringe - but before I moved some weeks back, those towers weren't in the fringe. Now I hear some "motorboating" but I'm confident it is only happening because of some of the sites I'm monitoring are weak now.

It also worked fine when I took it down to Belmont Co and listened to their county TRS. It's a mixture of analog and digital, and the digital all decoded just fine (and sounded much better than what I had heard on my friends older BC.. BC250 I think it was).

Glad to hear you're able to get a new toy. Where you're at you have a lot to listen to!

Mike

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i ordered mine from hamradiooutlet.com, i ordered it tuesday morning and it was here thursday, they also give free shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.