Where to find amateur operator data transmissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk4dnl

Feed Provider
I am new to shortwave listening been at it for about 2-3 months. Just wondering what are the popular frequencies on shortwave to find amateur radio operators chatting. Wanting to decode really anything , RTTY, CW, MFSK, PSK stuff like that. I will be getting my second SW receiver in a few weeks. This model will have SSB capabilities. Currently running a Tecsun PL-380.

Any help will be appreciated.

I am running Fldigi software.

Have successfully decoded VOA Radiogram once and navtex once.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That list is not quite complete. It doesn't mention that the 5 Mhz channlized frequencies can be used for data transmissions as well (I think this started back in the spring...)

This is a more general listing than the one above, but gives you the limits on the 5 Mhz allocations...

Frequency Allocations

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And this article from our wiki will give you some idea of some of the various modes you will hear, and software to boot (although FLDigi is a good start, it doesn't do everything...)

Digital Amateur Radio - The RadioReference Wiki

The list of modes isn't complete, but it's enough to give you some idea of the different modes hams can use...Mike

n2nov

Here's another list which is pretty extensive, it's searchable by keyword but you need to know what you're looking for, but you can search for the common modes like PSK, RTTY, JT65 etc:
http://bandplans.com/index.php?band=All

Even that link is not complete. I have been running the NY-NBEMS and USeast-NBEMS nets on 7.036 Mhz (1500 hz waterfall spot) since the beginning of July 2011. Eventhough the info has been all over the internet during that time, this shows that it will not readily be in one listing or another. All one can do is have a basic chart with the sub-bands and start tuning around. A soundcard based software package like FLdigi needs you to place your radio in upper sideband and you will see signals from 0 to 2500 hz above your radio's dial setting. For example, the two NBEMS nets that I set up, the radio is set to 7.036 Mhz in USB and with a waterfall setting of 1500 hz the actual signals are centered on 7.037.5 Mhz.

Many groups for the various specialized soundcard modes can be found on Yahoogroups such as our NY-NBEMS and USeast-NBEMS groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.