• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Where to find KPG 46 Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KN4HTC

I've got a TK 7160 and a TK 981 and the programming software for both radios.

Doing my research, it looks like both radios take a KPG 46 cable. Is there a good source for them that's not $100? That seems a bit high for a programming cable.

a417

U+0000
The KPG-46 is a serial port programmer for those radios, and the magic behind it is a RS232 to TTL level converter chip that allows the radio to talk to the computer. I built mine on a breadboard and it cost about $11. It was a MAX232, 7 caps and a 78L05. Dirt simple level conversion. I only had to program the radio once (and could rebuild it again if needed) and it worked just fine. The $100+ I see around are ones that have a USB to SERIAL converter built in, and consequently some scumbag markup involved as well.

As the Antenna Farm has a good reputation around these parts, I'd start here and try theirs for $40 ish.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

a417

U+0000
Good to know @MTS2000des , I'm always leery of ebay cables as they are misrepresented in perpetuity (and I frequently use them for parts.) I recommended the AntennaFarm as their customer service has to be better than ebay sellers. I just went the ebay route for an ICOM programming cable, and was told that the reason it didn't work was because I didn't install the correct Prolific driver....

...for the serial port.

No refund, days of emails to be told all sales are final. As I "refused their customer service request to install their prolific driver" I ended up going to ebay for dispute.

Cracked it open to find the DE-9 pins shorted by a solder blob.

KN4HTC

The KPG-46 is a serial port programmer for those radios, and the magic behind it is a RS232 to TTL level converter chip that allows the radio to talk to the computer. I built mine on a breadboard and it cost about $11. It was a MAX232, 7 caps and a 78L05. Dirt simple level conversion. I only had to program the radio once (and could rebuild it again if needed) and it worked just fine. The $100+ I see around are ones that have a USB to SERIAL converter built in, and consequently some scumbag markup involved as well.

As the Antenna Farm has a good reputation around these parts, I'd start here and try theirs for $40 ish.

You have got to be kidding me. Considering the fact that I have ordered multiple things from there, you would've thought I would have checked there. Ha ha ha. Thanks!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I usually go to Valley Enterprises for radio programming cables. They have models for most popular models and they have cables with FTDI RS-232 to USB chipsets. I feel safer buying from Valley than from an unknown eBay seller. $21.49.

Vern

Premium Subscriber
Look at KPG-46z on ebay by seller BlueMax49ers for $28. I use it on my Kenwood NX-3700 series. It surpasses my old TTL cables which took 4 minutes for a read/write and this one takes 28 seconds. Seller is a ham and I have several of his products.
Vern

a417

U+0000
You have got to be kidding me. Considering the fact that I have ordered multiple things from there, you would've thought I would have checked there. Ha ha ha. Thanks!

...this is where it started, deteriorated over time.

KN4HTC

View attachment 86942

...this is where it started, deteriorated over time.

Wow. Yeah I'll stick with the Antenna Farm then.

My last conversation with them went like this:

Them: The NMO mount you ordered is actually out of stock but we've got this one that actually a little better we can substitute.
Me: OK. Thanks.
Them: We'll get it shipped out today!

a417

U+0000
Yeah, that's not saying that all ebayers aren't scumbags...but this one was. @vagrant & @W9BU both posted a seller they have had personal experience with, so that's better than just some rando. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.