Where to find VAC to VDC Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFBOSS

Well not just any ol' power supply vibrator.

The ones that took the place of the rectifier tube were called...

Synchronous vibrators and had extra contacts to perform the commutation (AC to DC).

Several workable solutions have been put forth, but we are lacking some information to make a definitive suggestion.

KI7HYI

Well not just any ol' power supply vibrator.

The ones that took the place of the rectifier tube were called...

Synchronous vibrators and had extra contacts to perform the commutation (AC to DC).

Several workable solutions have been put forth, but we are lacking some information to make a definitive suggestion.

It depends on whether they were the single or multi-pole.
Although they required much more room, motorgenerators were much more reliable than any vibrator.

RFBOSS

This is off topic, but you cannot have a synchronous vibrator with a single contact.

In simple terms there are two types of vibrators used in power supplies, synchronous (which provides the commutation of AC to DC) and asynchronous which does not.

Motor generators (Dynamotors) had both brushes and commutators and bearings that would wear and need maintenance. And although they could produce much higher power levels, they required much, much more current.

And in the common application of the vibrator (tube type car radios) they were not needed or practical and it was simple to plug in a new one when needed, just like the vacuum tubes.

I was born before the transistor was invented, so I have dealt with just about every type of DC high voltage power supply.

And I am not going to go any more off topic.

It would be great if the OP would give us an update on his project.

KI7HYI

This is off topic, but you cannot have a synchronous vibrator with a single contact.

In simple terms there are two types of vibrators used in power supplies, synchronous (which provides the commutation of AC to DC) and asynchronous which does not.

Motor generators (Dynamotors) had both brushes and commutators and bearings that would wear and need maintenance. And although they could produce much higher power levels, they required much, much more current.

And in the common application of the vibrator (tube type car radios) they were not needed or practical and it was simple to plug in a new one when needed, just like the vacuum tubes.

I was born before the transistor was invented, so I have dealt with just about every type of DC high voltage power supply.

And I am not going to go any more off topic.

It would be great if the OP would give us an update on his project.

I never said it would be synchronous, but asynchronous vibrators came first.
I am fully experienced with their presence in tube-type two-way radios after their introduction in Motorola's first car radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.