Where to get poster sized city maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonar

I would like to get a poster sized map for my city. I checked out Thomas Brothers, but their poster sized map is for the entire county and that costs $229. I just want something simple and not too expensive. And recommendations on a shop that can perhaps print out customized maps?

Audiodave1

Database Admin
I had a local (Wilmington DE) map shop basically take a high res picture of the portion of a map I wanted, enlarge it and print it out on a good color printer + laminate it.
5' x 3' with corner grommets, $60 I believe.

Find a local map shop or I can put you in touch with mine.

Dave

pfish

Premium Subscriber
Sonar said:
I would like to get a poster sized map for my city. I checked out Thomas Brothers, but their poster sized map is for the entire county and that costs $229. I just want something simple and not too expensive. And recommendations on a shop that can perhaps print out customized maps?

Check with your City. Lots of times they offer wall-sized maps of the City for a reasonable price. My city offers several different sizes of maps.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
High Price

I can't believe Thomas Brothers wall maps have gone up that high in price. I just bought a Thomas Brothers map book yesterday at Costco for $19.99 (Los Angeles and Orange County).

They don't come with the CD anymore (although, this is somewhat new anyway). You must send a small s/h fee and send away for it.

Scanman6

I picked up the Thomas Guide at Costco here in Sac about a month-and-a-half ago. It was the 2006 version for Sac and Solono Counties. Id had the CD in the back in a clear plastic sleeve. Wall maps are cool for your radio shack, but If you can spare a computer, it's cool to have the electronic version of the Thomas Guide so you can enter the address directly and just see the location. If your machine is connected to the Internet, you'll be able to click on locations in the map and see web information on the site if there is any available. I like the Emap because you can zoom in and out as needed.

SLOweather

Premium Subscriber
pfish said:
Check with your City. Lots of times they offer wall-sized maps of the City for a reasonable price. My city offers several different sizes of maps.

You may need to go straight to the City GIS department. The talking heads at the counter or on the phone may not know that what you want is available.

OTHO, the GIS people can probably plot you to a map to order for a nominal fee.

cristisphoto

See if that City town Etc has ta ransit system if SO
then get you a full size transit map.
SF Muni costs like 3 dollars and is usually updated every year
whilst most, if not all surrounding systems are free ...

Crista

SLOweather

Premium Subscriber
One other thing about getting one from the City directly is that you may be able to to get it gridded with their dispatch grid system, if they don't use a public one like Thomas Brothers.

San Luis Obispo has its own grid system, and makes its own maps and map books.

pfish

Premium Subscriber
SLOweather said:
One other thing about getting one from the City directly is that you may be able to to get it gridded with their dispatch grid system, if they don't use a public one like Thomas Brothers.

San Luis Obispo has its own grid system, and makes its own maps and map books.

Yup, we have it divided into Districts and areas. We also make our own maps and map books here. The GIS department handles all of this, as you stated earlier. They don't charge much at all -- just the materials needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.