Where To Report Weather Observations in NYC Area These Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

Back in the good old days, there used to be Skywarn Nets up and running, even during smaller storms like the one we are getting today. However, I cannot even find a place online where we can post updated and actual current weather observations from our location. (And no more skywarn nets?) Are there anymore options where we can report our observations?

They have been saying 2-4" of snow for the current storm we are getting, and the fact it is not even sticking proves they are obviously incorrect with their forecast. It would be nice to report the actual conditions in my area to the NWS or Weather Channel, but I do not see a place on their websites to do this. Do they not want to hear from HAM skywarn spotters anymore because they think their own weather data is more accurate than real life observations?

ecps92

Googled it for you

National Weather Service New York, NY Skywarn Page

Back in the good old days, there used to be Skywarn Nets up and running, even during smaller storms like the one we are getting today. However, I cannot even find a place online where we can post updated and actual current weather observations from our location. (And no more skywarn nets?) Are there anymore options where we can report our observations?

They have been saying 2-4" of snow for the current storm we are getting, and the fact it is not even sticking proves they are obviously incorrect with their forecast. It would be nice to report the actual conditions in my area to the NWS or Weather Channel, but I do not see a place on their websites to do this. Do they not want to hear from HAM skywarn spotters anymore because they think their own weather data is more accurate than real life observations?

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
Is there a system for NYC? more specifically Manhattan and Brooklyn? I live on the Upper West Side but work in Williamsburg. It'd be nice to have an active system around.

Rred

When there is a specific snow event expected, NYCEM (NYC Emergency Management, formerly known as OEM, Office of Emergency Management) directs the CERT teams (approx. 52 teams with 1500 active members on the rolls) to take snow measurements during the event. AND. They are adamant that team members must take a snow measurement course before they can be allowed to do this, because apparently just sticking a ruler into the snow is no longer good enough.

NYCEM could probably put you on the list for the next snow measurement training event, whenever that is. (Honest. You just can't make this stuff up.) Those reports go back into the NWS, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.