• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Where was you when you first heard about 9-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

Like the title says, where was you and what was you doing whe you first heard about the 9-11 attacks.

I'll start this off:
I was still in high school during the 9-11 attacks. A little background, where I went to high school, grades 9 and 10 was in one school ( called 'MidHigh') and 11 and 12 was in another building across town (the 'High School').
I had to take a few classes at Mid-High before I could go to the High-School across town. I didn't have a vehicle that day because it was in the shop so I had to ride the bus. When I got onto the bus, the bus driver said that a plane had hit the Wolrd Trade Center. Ok, I thought that it was just a small couple of people type of airplane. It wasnt until I got to the High-School that i relized the extent of the situation.
My first class had a tv in it and the teacher was watching ABC. It was at this time that I saw what was really going on.

Thats my story, whats yours?

GOD BLESS AMERICA
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN!

I was at the office working. We heard about it and spent the rest of the morning gathered around the TV in the owners office watching the coverage. No one spoke for hours, it was just too much at first.

Southtown800

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i was in school in coop city (Bronx) felt like a day in hell....felt all the tears, heard all the screams, something i will never recover from.....8 people from my neighboorhood were taken that day..... :-(

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi guys,

I was watching a movie on cable when others in the apartment house started making a fuss. I too at first didn't realize the gravity of the situation and became annoyed. Finally I caved in and switched to WCBS-TV, the only transmitter remaining at Empire and then it hit me. Moments later the second plane hit so you can say it hit me again, the proverbial one-two punch. At the time I had this POS 10 channel Rat Shack scanner and knowing the repeaters went down I didn't bother reprogramming it, just stared out the north window at the column of smoke on the horizon with this foggy feeling of disbelief.

Edit;
"i was in school in coop city (Bronx)..."
Just so you guys aren't TOO confused, he meant Co Op City, a housing project in the Bronx.

Last edited:

I was in the county gun board meeting awaiting my approval of my CCW. Phone call about the 1st plane while waiting for the state cop to show up. Meeting was under way when we heard about the second plane. When the pentagon was hit they quickly read through the names and said you are all approved now we need to get to our command posts and find out what is going on.

Headed downstairs and watched the TV that was rolled out. 2 of my co-workers were on the planes. 1 changed flights for the miles and still it was his day.

soccerbyron

I was getting my kids ready for school and for some reason I turned the tv on. I had never turned the tv on when getting them ready for school before. That was eerie. Pretty much sat glued to the tv for the rest of the day.

K3GI

Premium Subscriber
I was in the office. It was a slow day so I got on the computer to browse the news on www.msnbc.com. It was maybe about 9:30--10:00 in the morning. There was THE news article--very brief, few details. It took me awhile to comprehend the gravity of the situation as the original news didn't specify the type of aircraft or detail the terrific damage to the trade center tower, and I assumed a small general aviation aircraft was the culprit. I didn't think it would be a big deal. As the details trickled in it was "WOW! We're under attack by terrorists!"

I teach at a community college, and my program is at a satellite site in the county industrial airpark adjacent to the county airport. I had no AM/FM radio with me (and had left my 2-meter HT home that day) to catch the news with--so it was the internet only and that was running real slow.

We had two trucks with instructors and students on the road. I reached them by cell phone--not an easy task as lines were jammed and told them to come home. Because they were in the vicinity of Dover AFB I thought it best for them to return. The governor closed all public institutions. But as we were at a remote location and in the confusion nobody remembered to call us. My co-instructor's wife called with that news. Within hours the National Guard was manning the guard shack at our entrance.

To me, the incident and its emotional impact was as memorable as the Kennedy assassination (I'm 57).

Lee, K3GI

cristisphoto

I was in a program for homeless youth
(I am now back up on my feet)
anyways
I was in bed still as it like 0660 ish
I had this Verizon Pager that recived news
It was cheaper and easier at that time for to have pager than a cell
anyways
Yeah It had a setting where you can have it beep when breaking news pops up..
It kept goin off
And after the third beep or so
I looked at it and couldnt believe my eyes
Then I hoppped went downstairs to tv area and what few few kids were up didnt even look at me..
They were transfixed on the TV wiith Live CNN fottage of the towers having smoke come out..
Man was this was SUPER scary It felt like lterally the WHOLE USA was under attack
then a few days later I found out one of the heroic padsengers was a customer I had served at Hot Coookie in the Castro District
a genuine nice guy
which is rare in our region...
They had a memorial for him the street corner
That's when it hit me
This was real, NOT Hollywood
and it was more personal that it just being stranger whom were probaly jerk off in life
My attitude changed ya know??!!!
Anywyas
Love to all
Crista

radio10-8

I was sitting briefing at 0600(PST) 3 tv were on showing the news, we were watching and not sure what to do. When news said we were being attacked, We all left and drove to our beats. None of cars had am/fm radios so I went home and grabbed one and just listened as I drove around in shock. I cant remember any calls or traffic stops that day it was all a flash.

cstockmyer

I was in class in Tulsa. At an aviation school no less. We all walked out to our cars and watched the never ending line of flights on final..there was no songs on the radio..very weird. The people of Oklahoma know how the people felt in NY, so the whole town changed.

pinetree

I was in a critical incident stress management cont. ed. course in Dover Delaware. All of a sudden pagers were going off and cell phones were ringing. Needless to say that was the end of the class, and back to work for all of us.

Sac916

Premium Subscriber
I was sitting in front of my computer at home, just before going to bed ( i work nights ) and had my scanner running. I caught a tiny bit of conversation between two people ( i think a business band or FRS ) One was telling the other that they had just heard, that a small plane had crashed into a building in NYC. I went into the living room and turned on the TV. They were running live coverage, and were talking about the developments. I hit record on my VCR just to catch anything interesting. Over the next several minutes, I watched and listend as the news went from "interesting" to horror. I think I stayed up a good 4 hours past my normal sleep time, recording well over 8 hours of news coverage.

CVPI4Ever

I was in an elevator at my then job when someone got in and told me about it. I didnt believe it at first until I came upon a TV and everyone around it. Then I thought about my uncle that worked in the WTC. Thankfully he made it out alright.

daleduke17

I was working as a cashier at a grocery store when it happened. The Head Cashier got my attention and told me to call her station. She told me about it over the in-store phone. Then, when I went on break, I listened to the radio. In between work and school I listened to more and when I came back to work for the second half of my shift (I worked 7a-11a and then 2p-6p) we were just eerily calm for a Tuesday night (normally the store would be slammed).

kg4icg

Premium Subscriber
I was leaving the pentagon after picking up rental equipment from a couple of contractors in the north parking lot when the plane hit.

R Collins

Radio_Cowboy

I was sleeping (I work night shift) and a co-worker called my house and woke me up with a message saying "you'd better turn on the TV". So I did, just to see the 2'nd tower get hit.

-RC-

CLB

Fall 2001 was my sophomore year in college, and that particular day my schedule was nothing more than an 11:00 class so I always slept in until around 10:00. I woke up and turned on the TV as I was getting ready but didn't pay attention to it as I walked to the shower. When I got back to get dressed for class I thought it was odd that they were playing news on whatever channel I had left the TV on.

I called my mother who filled me in on what was going on. That was the first time since the Civil War that my college canceled a number of classes. A lot of us gathered on the quad to talk about what was happening and I remember my first (very wierd) room mate getting mad at us because we were talking about it being Islamic extremists that did this. (He was politely asked to be quiet, which he apologized and did).

One professor that I happened to have held her class regardless and while it made us a little irate that she fussed at us for not paying attention, in hindsight really makes sense. "The best way to tell whoever did this that they did not win is to keep on business as usual. Now wake up." I have a lot of respect for that frail little woman now.....that took some real balls to say to the 300lb linebacker 2 desks down...

car2back

9th grade American History; a teacher came running in from his break and told our teacher to turn on the news. The rest of the day was spent wandering from class to class, television to television.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.