• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

where would you put a radio in this thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

313RADIO

considering 2 or 3 remote head radio's... ideas?

Attachments

• 08_Chevy_EquinoxSport_2.jpg
    08_Chevy_EquinoxSport_2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,482

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

KD8EYF said:
considering 2 or 3 remote head radio's... ideas?

Some custom bracketing, to put the remote on top of the center of the dash. Attaching under the front trim of the center console.

The radio should be able to go under a seat, and place an external speaker might be mounted near a visor.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Krokus's first suggestion would be appealling.

If there was someone handy with a small metal brake and medium grade sheet metal, they would make a killing on this website. They could custom make/fit racks for whatever the vehicle. Other than that, his other offerings looks to be your only choices.

313RADIO

ok so i am looking at a couple options

.. or ..

pic - 3

Attachments

• radio1.jpg
    radio1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 908
  • radio2.jpg
    radio2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 871
  • radio3.jpg
    radio3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 837

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
That last picture would work. I was also thinking of the remote heads on a board between the bottom of the gear shift console and the arm rest in between the seats. Can you take a better picture of the gun rack in the rear seat area???

mrweather

Those are two different cars. The first two look like they come from a Chevrolet Cruze. The last one is a Chevrolet Caprice PPV (I own a Pontiac G8 which is its slightly smaller cousin).

jim202

The problem with auto design today is they don't give a darn about anyone having to put any equipment into them. I spent a great deal of time looking for a vehicle that would be comfortable as well as user friendly to installing radios. Found a couple, but got turned off from one as the gas fill cap was on the passenger side. This is America, make the darn vehicle standard with the gas cap on the drivers side like everyone else.

These design engineers that just have to put a center console in don't get the picture that the rest of us radio geeks look at. Put the shift lever on the steering column like it has been since Henry Ford made the first truck. Sure it means some linkage, but that has worked for how many years? Why do we have to loose so much room to a poor design because some engineer got lazy? Look at all the extra crap that gets put there just to make it look nice. Most of the space taken is empty behind the plastic.

fineshot1

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The problem with auto design today is they don't give a darn about anyone having to put any equipment into them.
Except for vehicles intended for police duty, equipment installation is not even on the interior designers' radar. The number people putting radio equipment in cars is minuscule compared to the number of cars sold. The designers have a lot bigger problems to solve than ease of equipment installation. And, for cars that are popular with public safety or fleets, the after-market often comes up with a solution. That's how companies like Havis, JottoDesk, and Troy have built their businesses.

Found a couple, but got turned off from one as the gas fill cap was on the passenger side. This is America, make the darn vehicle standard with the gas cap on the drivers side like everyone else.
The location of the fuel filler is by no means standardized in this country. I have a Ford Taurus designed in the USA and made in the USA, but the fuel filler is on the right. I have owned several front wheel drive Volkswagens designed in Germany where everyone drives on the right and most drivers sit on the left like in the USA, but the fuel fillers have all been on the right. I've had my Taurus over a year and have put 10,000 miles on it. Occasionally, I forget where the filler is, but it's not that big of a deal.

Put the shift lever on the steering column like it has been since Henry Ford made the first truck.
I can't speak for Ford's first trucks, but Ford Model A and Model AA trucks had the shifter on the floor. I don't think column shift for manual transmissions was common until the 30's or 40's. Remember that automatic transmissions didn't become common in cars until the 50's...about the time Ford celebrated it's 50th year building cars and trucks.

Why do we have to loose so much room to a poor design because some engineer got lazy?
Lazy? No, they are responding to market demands so they can sell cars to the general public. If they lose two or three sales to radio hobbyists, they really aren't concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.