Which amplifier for pro-107?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylemax

I just got a pro-107 and would like to say that I love this scanner. A previous thread on hear said that it is so easy to use a child could program it and I would have to agree that this is the easiest scanner I have ever had to program. I was wondering if anyone out there owns this scanner and uses an amplifier or preamp that works well. I am using it both with an indoor and outdoor antenna (antennacraft). Either kind of amp I would be interested in. Much thanks for any response.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Proceed with caution; amps can overload handhelds very easily. They're simply not cut out for the higher signal levels. Unless you get one with a variable gain, overloading it is a real possibility.

An example would be the Jim M75 preamp on the Scanner Master website.

What kind of coax are you using on the outdoor antenna (I assume it's a ScanTenna clone - AntennaCraft sells them)? Can you get the antenna higher? Antenna and coax improvements are usually a more cost-effective way to go to improve reception....73 Mike

raisindot

I use the GRE Super Amplifier with both my PSR 500 and Pro 162. It's designed mainly for handhelds, with BNC connectors on both ends.

I find that it does a very good job of increasing reception, particularly in the VHF-Hi range that is a performance weak point for the PSR-500. The gain is adjustable, so if the scanner gets "stuck" on channels that are just static without voice you can back it off a bit.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.