Which antenna for mobile scanning? (probably the millionth time someone's asked)

RabbitEarsTX

Hello,
I really tried to explore the forums to find a good answer, and I believe that you all know what you are talking about for sure, but some of the terminology is over my head. So forgive me if I'm starting another repetitive thread...

Is there such a thing as a "all things" antenna? I see some models that tout specific frequencies, others claim a "wideband" reception from about 25-1200 MHz. Digging down though it seems that wideband models don't really do anything well, but all frequencies mediocre (if that is a false assumption tell me).

I'm still trying to learn what side band, VHF, high UHF and all that means. I can explain what I'd like out of antenna though, perhaps you all can help me find a product to get me started?

- I'd like it to be removable from my car (no holes drilled).
- I enjoy listening to a wide variety of things from CB, marine, air, rail, Ham, and eventually digital public safety (when I get a scanner capable of doing so). As a noob I'm still refining what I want to hear I suppose. So I'd like it to work for all those frequencies if possible.
- I'd prefer to just have one antenna to do it all, if possible.
- Finally size isn't SUPER important, but I'd rather my little toyota camry not look like some kind of sci-fi spaceship going down the road if possible.

I found a antenna that seems to meet all these things, but it seems too good to be true. Here is a link to it....

Procomm Scanner Radio Mini Magnet Mount Mobile Scanner Antenna - w/SMA Connector:

Will this work for analog and (eventually) digital? is it even possible to buy a single antenna that does both well? Do you have any other suggested products? I don't mind spending some cash since I DO know the antenna is a critical part of the setup.

Thanks for recommendations and advice all!

I went to a wedding for two antennae, the reception was great! ba dum tss

prcguy

The claim by Procom that their antenna works from 25MHz to 1,200MHz is roughly equivalent to claiming your dog is fluent in 25 different languages. Its a complete lie. First off do you need continuous coverage from 25MHz to 1,200MHz? Its possible but the antennas required will take up much of the outside of your vehicle. You might really need CB at 27MHZ and some public service/amateur stuff in the 144-174, 440-512 and 750-986MHz range. Worst case maybe add VHF airband 118-136MHz. If you want the 225-400MHz mil air band then good luck.

Now your down to one antenna for CB and one that covers much of the public service/amateur bands I listed above. Some will work very well over the public service and amateur bands and other bands like VHF air not so good but probably good enough. If you are convinced you need the 30-50MHz VHF lo band then all bets are off as that takes a lot of antenna to properly cover that entire band.

Some antennas that are known to work ok in the basic VHF/UHF/700/800 bands are the Larsen Tri-Band, Maxrad BMXSCAN1000, Laird WPD136M6C-001, EM Wave multiband and a couple of models from COMPACtenna. There are others but I have not tested them. None of those will work for CB or VHF lo band and a few will pick up some VHF airband but not that great. None of these antennas are inexpensive.

Hello,
I really tried to explore the forums to find a good answer, and I believe that you all know what you are talking about for sure, but some of the terminology is over my head. So forgive me if I'm starting another repetitive thread...

Is there such a thing as a "all things" antenna? I see some models that tout specific frequencies, others claim a "wideband" reception from about 25-1200 MHz. Digging down though it seems that wideband models don't really do anything well, but all frequencies mediocre (if that is a false assumption tell me).

I'm still trying to learn what side band, VHF, high UHF and all that means. I can explain what I'd like out of antenna though, perhaps you all can help me find a product to get me started?

- I'd like it to be removable from my car (no holes drilled).
- I enjoy listening to a wide variety of things from CB, marine, air, rail, Ham, and eventually digital public safety (when I get a scanner capable of doing so). As a noob I'm still refining what I want to hear I suppose. So I'd like it to work for all those frequencies if possible.
- I'd prefer to just have one antenna to do it all, if possible.
- Finally size isn't SUPER important, but I'd rather my little toyota camry not look like some kind of sci-fi spaceship going down the road if possible.

I found a antenna that seems to meet all these things, but it seems too good to be true. Here is a link to it....

Procomm Scanner Radio Mini Magnet Mount Mobile Scanner Antenna - w/SMA Connector:

Will this work for analog and (eventually) digital? is it even possible to buy a single antenna that does both well? Do you have any other suggested products? I don't mind spending some cash since I DO know the antenna is a critical part of the setup.

Thanks for recommendations and advice all!

I went to a wedding for two antennae, the reception was great! ba dum tss

RabbitEarsTX

GregOH.

Uniden Bearcat BC125AT,

the one you linked says it does 800 - 1300 MHz, isn't that a higher range than I need?

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Just a quick note:
1. A directional antenna is of course not possible for your use so any comparisons with one are not applicable ( I am sure you know that).
2. The only type of omni antenna that wil really cover that range is a discone but you will discone haters here (I am not one).
3. I have used a Diamond D130J (~$144) on a good magnetic mount but took it off the car due to too many comments and once almost being denied into a parking lot for a government building having classified work inside as they thought I looked too much like a spy.
4. There is no ideal choice. I keep a collection of whip antennas in my trunk to put on a magmount or trunk mount as needed.
5. If something did what you want, I think we would all own one.

GregOH

I also listen to some guys on 27.025 with it on an old analog scanner which seems to be some sort of ham or cb radio.

RabbitEarsTX

Ok is it a better idea to shop based on the frequencies my scanner is capable of receiving? The BC125at says it works on the following frequencies. 25-54, 108-174, 225-380, 400-512 MHz.

Is there a antenna that specifically fits that range? or is that too wide of a range to ask from a antenna?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ok is it a better idea to shop based on the frequencies my scanner is capable of receiving? The BC125at says it works on the following frequencies. 25-54, 108-174, 225-380, 400-512 MHz.

Is there a antenna that specifically fits that range? or is that too wide of a range to ask from a antenna?

There are manufacturers that will CLAIM their antennas will work over that entire spectrum, but that's usually B.S.

If you want decent performance, you'll need more than one antenna.

Low band VHF (The 25-54MHz part of your scanner) is really going to want a big antenna if you want any sort of reasonable performance. I'd recommend starting with a CB antenna, or something from the Larsen NMO line of antennas. The more specific you can be, the better. Are you really looking to listen for the few FM users on the 25-30MHz band? Or, are you mostly interested in VHF Low band public safety users in the 39-43MHz area?

Then add a multiband antenna for the rest. The 225-380MHz stuff will be hard to find a good mobile antenna for, but the multiband antennas will get you close.

Other option is to start installing individual antennas for each area you are interested in. That's going to be many antennas on your car, and diplexing or switching those together is going to be a hassle. Finding a basic two antenna solution will get you close enough for most hobby use.

Beware of the "Do everything" antennas. They don't.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I'm still trying to learn what side band, VHF, high UHF and all that means.

By international agreement:
HF covers the frequencies from 3 to 30 MHz
VHF covers the frequencies from 30 MHz to 300 MHz
UHF covers the frequencies from 300 MHZ to 3000 MHz

An AM signal consists of a carrier and two sidebands. (One above and one below the carrier). AM is used in the CB band and in the airport/aircraft frequency bands.

If you remove the carrier and one of the sidebands, you have a Single Side Band left. SSB is used because its far more efficient than AM. For single sideband (SSB), you'll hear it in the CB band and in the 10 meter and 6 meter ham bands. SSB is also used by amateurs in the higher VHF and UHF ham bands, but not that often.

Otherwise, most VHF/UHF radio uses FM and digital modes.

There's a Wiki here on RR explaining antennas: Category:Antennas - The RadioReference Wiki

And a glossary for words/acronyms you don't understand. Category:RR Glossary - The RadioReference Wiki

bharvey2

In short, the answer to your first question is yes. Better still, consider your frequencies of interest. Just because your scanner can receive 25-54mhz or 225-380mhz, that doesn't necessarily mean that you need an antenna for that range. If you're only going to be scanning through the VHF/UHF public service frequencies, look for an antenna that works with those.

RabbitEarsTX

Ok so it seems like for me there is CB radio (26.965-27.405 MHz) and then other stuff I want to from (118~162 MHz). If I'm reading you all correctly that is not feasible with one antenna, the design and engineering needs are different.

So, I'd like to focus on the transportation bands in 118-162 MHz, this should cover Marine, Rail, Air, and even the 144-148 Ham range.

Is that specific enough? Or do I need to narrow it down even further.

Last time I traveled the stock rubber ducky on my BC75 picked up quite a bit actually when I was outside the car (at the hotel or walking about) I want a solution that will do similar or better but I cant put on the car so I can listen as I drive. (I'm sure you all know that car's block RF)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
For the 118-162MHz stuff, a simple VHF 1/4 wave will work just fine.
If you want to listen to CB, then get a dedicated CB antenna.
Use a diplexer to combine the two into a single antenna feed, something like:

RabbitEarsTX

For the 118-162MHz stuff, a simple VHF 1/4 wave will work just fine.
If you want to listen to CB, then get a dedicated CB antenna.
Use a diplexer to combine the two into a single antenna feed, something like:
Ok, I didn't know such a thing existed. very cool, thanks