Which Antenna Is Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darla_42

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to know if anyone knows which antenna performs better for long distance
scanner reception. The Wilson 881 or the Nagoya NA 771.

I currently use a the Nagoya antenna, and was wondering if the Wilson W-881
would give me an edge on recieving.

I own a Bearcar BR330 Scanner - if that should matter on how these antennas
should perform...

Darla_42

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Chris

I must admit the Nagoya is a darn good antenna.
Ever since I purchased it (about a year ago) the original antenna on my BR330T has sat on a shelf.
Despite its length, it stays on my scanner all times.
Never really thought about the 800 mhz RS antenna, but now that you mentioned it...
Its something to consider, as the Nagoya doent seem to brighten the 800 mhz band as it does the
VHF Hi/Lo and UHF Lo side of my scanner. When I first got this antenna, I was living in an area that I refer to as the multi-path capitol of the world and this antenna really helped inprove reception ways I would have never expected.

Am I expecting too much to ask if there is a H/H antenna I can use to get mediocre or better
reception from 3MHz through the 27MHz cb band on my Bearcat BR330T. I dont expect to DX SW on this radio, but I guess I am trying to get what I can out of it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Darla the handheld antennas that have been mentioned so far are way too short physically to be anything more than a wet noodle on HF (in fact a wet noodle may actually work better). I would just clip lead about 10 foot of wire or so for receiving on HF - not much more than that. The 330 is a generally horrible performer on HF, prone to overloading if you put too much of an antenna on it.

If you want to hear HF stuff, the bottom line is simple - get a radio designed for it. The 330 isn't.

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.