Which antenna is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh94

Hello,

I'm searching for a while now, but never found that antenna. I just want it 100% the same.

You could find the antenna back in the eighties, specifically 1984-1985,.. when this antenna stood on the roof of an Audi Sport Quattro rally car.

Who can help me out with this please? That would be great :)

Attachments

• Antenne2.jpg
    Antenne2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 680
  • Antenne.jpg
    Antenne.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 678

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
The only antennas I've seen that look like that are AM/FM stereo antennas. Not that I'm an expert on 80's antennas. And if it was on a Rally car, I'd doubt it would be in the amateur bands.

Josh94

Here you find the picture of the rally car with the antenne, it was an Audi works rally car, so I think they only would use professional materials.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1412116596924.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412116596924.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 648

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
New users are moderated until they get a few posts under their belts, so there's no need to post twice.

Given the heritage of the Audi rally cars, that antenna was probably sourced from a European company. It appears to be in the VHF band. You could get close to that design with an NMO-mount quarter-wave VHF antenna with a shock spring. I've not seen many antennas that were adjustable for angle, though.

Sort of a European version of a quarter wave NMO antenna. When living in Germany in the early 90's very common to see them on official vehicles.

Josh94

Yes, that would be true buth I just don't find the adjustable ball mount...

I'm just thinking more and more this antenna is something you do not find often ;)

Josh94

That seems to be very close, but I still miss the black ball on top of the antenna

jhooten

Okay, the 80s were nearly a lifetime ago but from what I remember roaming the paddock of the forest rallies in Germany as a young GI that was not a ball but a slip on cylindrical rubber cap.

SCPD

QRT
When I was stationed in Germany, in the mid 1980's, I saw these on taxi cabs, Polizei vehicles, etc. Cell phones, as we know them today, weren't popular or cost effective at that time so VHF mobile phones were still in use. I saw these antennas on privately owned vehicles that had VHF mobile phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.