Which ARTCC ZDC(Washington) or ZTL(Atlanta)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris0516

I moved last year. From the MD suburbs of DC. To 15mi. from RDU(Raleigh-Durham International). When I was in MD. The ARTCC was ZDC(Washington). I was in the process of updating my frequencies, today. When I was finding conflicting info. One search said ZDC was the ARTCC, for NC. But another search, said ZTL was the ARTCC for NC.

TIA
Chris

Airboss

Silent Key
I moved last year. From the MD suburbs of DC. To 15mi. from RDU(Raleigh-Durham International). When I was in MD. The ARTCC was ZDC(Washington). I was in the process of updating my frequencies, today. When I was finding conflicting info. One search said ZDC was the ARTCC, for NC. But another search, said ZTL was the ARTCC for NC.

TIA
Chris

Actually ZTL, ZDC, and to a much smaller extent ZJX (Jacksonville) provide air route ATC services in North Carolina Chris. You can examine those frequencies from the listing off the North Carolina Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference page. The map below will give you a rough idea of the boundaries for each ARTCC. As I mentioned above ZJX has only a small silver of airspace in NC. Since you are at RDU your airspace will be managed by ZDC. Areas just to the east will be controlled by ZTL. Depending on what you want to hear and how far away from your QTH you want to monitor enroute ATC activity, that will determine what you program into your scanner. As for the airspace directly over RDU, it is controlled by two sectors (low/high) from ZDC and the Johnsonville RCAG (Remote Center Air/Ground) site.

Johnsonville, NC - RCAG
NextLevel.gif

Frequency Input
License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
118.92500 ZDC36 RAL-HSector 36 Raleigh High AM Aircraft
135.20000 ZDC27 LIBSector 27 Liberty Low AM Aircraft
322.45000 ZDC36 RAL-HSector 36 Raleigh High AM Aircraft
348.65000 ZDC27 LIBSector 27 Liberty Low AM Aircraft

That should help get you started. Good hunting de Larry.

Chris0516

Actually ZTL, ZDC, and to a much smaller extent ZJX (Jacksonville) provide air route ATC services in North Carolina Chris. You can examine those frequencies from the listing off the North Carolina Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference page. The map below will give you a rough idea of the boundaries for each ARTCC. As I mentioned above ZJX has only a small silver of airspace in NC. Since you are at RDU your airspace will be managed by ZDC. Areas just to the east will be controlled by ZTL. Depending on what you want to hear and how far away from your QTH you want to monitor enroute ATC activity, that will determine what you program into your scanner. As for the airspace directly over RDU, it is controlled by two sectors (low/high) from ZDC and the Johnsonville RCAG (Remote Center Air/Ground) site.

Johnsonville, NC - RCAG
NextLevel.gif

FrequencyInput
LicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
118.92500 ZDC36 RAL-HSector 36 Raleigh HighAMAircraft
135.20000 ZDC27 LIBSector 27 Liberty LowAMAircraft
322.45000 ZDC36 RAL-HSector 36 Raleigh HighAMAircraft
348.65000 ZDC27 LIBSector 27 Liberty LowAMAircraft

That should help get you started. Good hunting de Larry.

View attachment 87719
Superb map(y)(y)(y):):):):)

I looked(with the help of your map). I put ZDC back in, and added ZTL. While ZDC covers RDU. The ZTL RCAG site is actually closer. Even though. RDU is closer than GSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.