• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Which call sign to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenoHuskerDu

Longtime VFD, rusty old scanner
Premium Subscriber
Howdy, I took a quick scan of the FCC regs on GMRS (FCC 95.1751) and have a question about call signs.
Should those of us who are also hams use our ham call or our GMRS call?
I reckon it's the latter. Just asking if anyone has clarified.
I memorized my ham call, don't want a 2nd ...

Last edited:

Hans13

Your GMRS call sign is only valid on GMRS. Your amateur call sign is only valid on the amateur service. Any commercial call sign you might hold is only valid on that commercial service. Simply use the appropriate call sign for the particular service.

Those of us that hold call signs for multiple services often screw up and use the wrong one. We quickly correct the error and chuckle. It's not uncommon to momentarily forget which service you are identifying for.

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
OK, so related question. I turned in my request for a GMRS license yesterday and paid with a credit card. FCC has my money as of yesterday. Midland claims that it's a paperless process that happens quickly. But the words "FCC" and "quickly" don't really go together, do they.

Realistically, when should I expect to receive my new call for GMRS? Days? Weeks? Months?
I've been checking the Download Authorizations page of FCC License Manager. No joy yet.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Paid yesterday, will process today and tomorrow morning should pop out your license. Log into the FCC portal because it will be there before you get the email.

bharvey2

"I have screwed up and put out my ham call on GMRS and have caught myself half way in the middle"

I do that every once in a while. Just have to take your lumps, put up with the good-natured ribbing that's sure to follow and move on.

Last edited:

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
Paid yesterday, will process today and tomorrow morning should pop out your license. Log into the FCC portal because it will be there before you get the email.

Just like clockwork, as you said, day 3 in the morning it popped up.
4 alpha + 3 numeric chars ... fills up the field for ID I use on my HTs
I feel sorry for the future 1,679,616,000th licensee, he'll need a bigger field on his HT.

tomhobbs

Premium Subscriber
I was called into work on an off weekend. Cruising down the road in my car.
grabbed the HT next to me and called my partner. The Sheriff who was a Ham also called me back and reminded me to use the right radio. I grabbed my duty HT and not the Ham HT. Saw the boss later that night.. He didnt chew on me, just laughed.

ecps92

Not the first and won't be the last one to have done that :) Too many call signs, too many radios :)
I was called into work on an off weekend. Cruising down the road in my car.
grabbed the HT next to me and called my partner. The Sheriff who was a Ham also called me back and reminded me to use the right radio. I grabbed my duty HT and not the Ham HT. Saw the boss later that night.. He didnt chew on me, just laughed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.