• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Which charger do I need for my XTS 5000?

WuLabsWuTecH

I have searched all over the internet but my Google-Fu is failing me.

I recently acquired an XTS5000. It has a battery with model number NNTN603B. It is a 7.4V Lithium Ion Battery.

Knowing this, can anyone tell me which charger I need for it? I understand the radio is only going to work for another 6-18 months due to Ohio MARCS upgrade, so I'm just looking for something cheap to get me through until hopefully can get issued my own up-to-date radio when we get grant funding for the changeover to the new standards!*

Thanks!

*An explanation for anyone wondering, I don't take a lot of calls which is why I'm issued my own pager, but not my own radio. Most of the departments are relatively low volume and don't have a spare for me. (They keep me on because I'm the only ALS unit for a couple of these departments and one of a small handful for some of the rest). Hopefully one of the departments will get enough grant money to get me my own radio in the near future--calling dispatch on public service to broadcast that I am going to intercept is becoming a pain in the...

nokones

Premium Subscriber
The Motorola part number for the single pocket charger to exercise and charge the Lithium Motorola Impress Battery is WPLN4114AR. If you want the battery to last for a long time e you should try to get the Impress Charger. I have Impress batteries that are 8-10 years old and still have capacities between 94% - 102%.

Besides eBay, you can find these used chargers in good condition at Sunny Communications and Haliod Radio. Motorola no longer sells the Impress battery for the XTS series radios. You can find quality after-market Impress batteries at radioparts.com or Magnum Electronics for about $95. I have had great success with both of these batteries for the last two years and they exercise out at 114%-115% each month.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have the VHF and UHF XTS5k radios and they work fine with a Moto Impress charger like the one linked above. It can help with the re-sale of your XTS5k as well. Still, as Asunakiyori noted, there is an insert that will allow you to charge APX radios. I use one of those adapters with my APX7000xe, so you may continue to use it.

K2NEC

That specific charger linked won't work. I believe it has to be at or above firmware V3.40. That one, according to the sticker, is V3.00

K2NEC

I mean, that charger will work for the XTS5000. But if OP wants to use it for an APX or anything other than an XTS, he will need a V3.40

WuLabsWuTecH

Thanks for the info guys, I got one from ebay, should be here early next week. Hopefully it works out!

When I was a lot more active, I had a XTS5000 for the first 10 years and then an APX...6000 for 4 years till that department shut down. I really just hope that I get issued a radio from the new funds coming in, but in a dream scenario I'd get another APX so it's good to know that I can modify my charger to do that if/when the time comes.

Asunakiyori

Lurker
Thanks for the info guys, I got one from ebay, should be here early next week. Hopefully it works out!

When I was a lot more active, I had a XTS5000 for the first 10 years and then an APX...6000 for 4 years till that department shut down. I really just hope that I get issued a radio from the new funds coming in, but in a dream scenario I'd get another APX so it's good to know that I can modify my charger to do that if/when the time comes.
it not so much a modification, it just a plastic cup that clips into the battery area you can alternate at will no screws no cable just a slide in ans click