Which coax should I run to my window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

I already have 7' of RG-58 run from the scanner on my desk to the top of my window (a ducky antenna), but it seems like I'm loosing signal in 800mhz but VHF and UHF is fine. So which coax would be best for 800mhz that wouldn't loose any signal on 800mhz or on any band?

Pain

I have a similar setup with 6ft of cable, except I use RG-6 and it works fine.

Jim41

xpawel15x said:
I already have 7' of RG-58 run from the scanner on my desk to the top of my window (a ducky antenna), but it seems like I'm loosing signal in 800mhz but VHF and UHF is fine. So which coax would be best for 800mhz that wouldn't loose any signal on 800mhz or on any band?

For 800 mHz your problem could be the location of your antenna. Moving it six to twelve inches could significantly improve the reception. Try moving it to different spots and see whether it helps.

Jim41

xpawel15x

hoser147 said:
The RG 58 is not good for the 800 mhz you would be much better going with a better coax if that is what you want to capture........Hoser

What would be a good coax to use for 800mhz? I am only running it 7' to my window.

hoser147

No longer of a run your making, you can probably get premade jumpers for that, I really dont care for the RG6 that comes on my window mounts, but that would do better and ya can get different lengths at WallyWorld. Hoser

57Bill

RG-6 or RG-8 would be better, but for only a 7' run, the improvement might not even be noticeable. Move the antenna around like the earlier post recommended, or get it higher.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
First of all there is no such thing as lossless coax.

"The RG 58 is not good for the 800 mhz you would be much better going with a better coax if that is what you want to capture."........Hoser

Typically 800MHz mobile antennas come with 18' of RG-58U so with less than half that it really doesn't matter. When you get into longer runs that's where you run into trouble. What's lacking here is a proper antenna so that's the direction you should be looking, save the duck for portable operation.

Uh oh, here comes another "which antenna is best" question so to cut you off at the pass pahdnah, read before you ask and you won't have to ask.

xpawel15x

CLTX11 said:
What antenna are you using, if I may ask for 800?

Is it the stock Ducky?

I am using the RS 800mhz duck, but still looking to improve reception by getting better coax, thanks all.

rhutch

xpawel15x said:
I am using the RS 800mhz duck, but still looking to improve reception by getting better coax, thanks all.

Unless there is an actual physical problem with your coax, you aren't going to notice any difference by changing 7 feet of RG58 to something else. Now if you are talking 50' or 100' that is a much different question. Cable loss figures are usually given per 100' of cable, the loss in a 7' length of RG58 would be negligable. That said the biggest difference would be between RG58 and Hardline, but you'd probably find it difficult to work with a 7' length of hardline.

As someone else suggested the biggest bang for your buck would be to get a better antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.