Which digi mode will win out in the end????

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
And then you'll link multiple Quantars doing P25 exactly how...?

Did I say anything about linking Quantars? I was addressing the erroneous and outdated information another poster made regarding the cost of P25 subscriber gear and repeater hardware.

Pretty sure a DMR moto and a C-bridge will do what you want cheaper and better than any ancient Quantars will, if you're planning on doing linking.

Sure, but remember in MIXED MODE operation with MotoTRBO you can throw out your ideas of a linked system, because you give that up if you opt for that on your XPR.

A C-bridge costs how much exactly? Much more than a used Quantar last I checked.

Not everyone wants to link to the world. It's great but don't toss your cookies all over P25. I actually prefer the audio coming out of a properly setup Quantar over TDMA anyday of the week. And you can still keep your analog users happy with mixed mode.

Again, I never said a word about linking repeaters in my post, just pointing out that the gear for P25 is cheap and abundant these days, surely you aren't forking over "$1800-3000" for used XTS radios or Astro Spectras are you? If so, give me a call, I've got a dozen or so I'll sell you for half of that.

Denverpilot

The system as designed works fine; it's the end user that wants the same convenience as analog that caused problems.

Correct; these were a "reflection" on how users wanted the system to work.

Incorrect; it's embedded in the data stream every 21 frames. Documented in the JARL specification as well.

If that's true then Icom didn't build their gateways to read it.

Take this scenario:

User source routes to another repeater and drops out (mobile flutter, signal loss, multipath, whatever) in the middle of a one minute long transmission. 60 seconds.

What will come out the other side is 30 seconds of audio. It will not pick back up and recover any of the remaining 30 seconds unless they've changed something in the latest gateway code.

In addition, unlike any other trunking or digital linking system out there, ther radios on either end and the gateways in between do not pass "repeater busy" status to the radios themselves. The radios can be set not to step on an active transmission but that's not what I'm speaking of here...

The user that was transmitting keeps talking, and the user on the far end will probably key up after guessing how long the other guy talked to tell him he fell out.

The remote user will step on the first guy if he keys up at say 45 seconds and have no idea he did it. The first user will unkey thinking his entire transmission went through.

Comparatively in the analog linking world there would be enough audio queues for the users on both ends to know what had just happened.

Anything designed to replace analog has to, not optional, provide at least a modicum of user feedback that the transmission didn't make it or block the remote user from transmitting back. Easily accomplished with a protocol that uses a header (Icom did this.) continuously interlaced routing information to pick up where the signal dropout left off (Icom put it in the OTA protocol apparently per your note but didn't utilize it in the gateway software correctly).

This of course doesn't even go into the detection and feedback of packet loss on the gateway to gateway link and a way to notify the end user that the gateways are having trouble. None of the popular systems do this very well today, but it's certainly possible to code it in. And it should have been there in all of them.

These failure scenarios aren't even that difficult to come up with.

I did some minor testing of an EFJ IP dispatch console a long time ago to help some friends in the biz out. My first - FIRST - test was to simply walk over and unplug the Ethernet cable while the simulated "dispatcher" (a radio tech in a lab) was "transmitting" and asked him to keep the console keyed down.

Repeater stopped transmitting immediately of course. No indication to the listener on the RF side that the dispatch console disconnected.

Looked at the radio tech: "Did you get any indication as the dispatcher that you're not going out over the air anymore?"

"Nope."

"I wouldn't deploy that thing in a life safety system until EFJ fixes that."

"Yeah. That isn't right. In fact that's dangerous."

Additionally neither that version of the dispatch console nor the repeater have any indication at all that they weren't communicating when the system was idle. None.

This was a commercial product INTENDED for sales into Public Safety systems.

I mention that test because ALL digital linking systems need these features as a default MINIMUM feature set. Not as a "oh we will sell you an upgrade later at your cost to make it work properly".

Perhaps Icom fixed the source routing oversights in their product in their newer gateway software?

Are they still compiling binary bits on Unix from six year old source code full of security holes? They definitely didn't have a clue on the first version how to properly package Unix software. Not even a teeny tiny bit of clue. Worst commercial software packaging of the software itself that I've seen yet in a career of doing Unix.

When I approached some folks and recommended how to fix it and also that I'd be willing to actually DO it, I was told to pound sand by Icom directly. Their loss. I lost all interest and haven't keyed a D-Star radio in anything other than analog mode in years.

I've also been explaining that dropout scenario to various folks running all types of digital linked systems for somewhere around ten years now. DMR comes the closest with at least a check that you can hit the repeater prior to a "go ahead" beep for the user.

That functionality where the radio can ask the repeater "am I good to go?" can easily be leveraged into a mobile flutter lockout if the firmware and linking code is done right.

Icom radios simply don't have the ability to check, and may never.

Granted, the DMR rigs can't do it continuously, only at initial key up. Even if they're in a trunked environment and listening to a control channel.

Nothing on the market that I'm aware of attempts to do a duplexed health check throughout a transmission. Well, other than a cell phone. Hah.

Fun stuff to analyze. None of it is perfect. Icom's stuff was a nice "first try". P25 is better. DMR gets a tiny bit closer to ideal.

It'll be another 10-20 years for someone to do it right.

Someone mentioned the "R2D2" effect. That's the best the Icom system has for user feedback as to what's happening.

All of the above was easy in the analog domain. There were auditory cues to what was happening. It's not easy in a half-duplex digital system.

The benefit to digital is saving spectrum. If it does that job and performs poorly on the rest, it's not "fully baked" yet. Stick it back in the oven.

Has Yaesu figured out what emission designator their new mixed mode system is? They failed miserably on the one thing digital brings to the table... Spectrum conservation.

Why they even bothered doing a mixed system is a head scratcher. Late to the game by a decade and they take up the same spectrum as analog? At least in DMR you get two channels from the same repeater for that. They just needed a product to say they could compete. Pushed WIRES on analog as their differentiator for WAY too long. And what a joke THAT is/was! ;)

Denverpilot

Did I say anything about linking Quantars? I was addressing the erroneous and outdated information another poster made regarding the cost of P25 subscriber gear and repeater hardware.

Sure, but remember in MIXED MODE operation with MotoTRBO you can throw out your ideas of a linked system, because you give that up if you opt for that on your XPR.

A C-bridge costs how much exactly? Much more than a used Quantar last I checked.

Not everyone wants to link to the world. It's great but don't toss your cookies all over P25. I actually prefer the audio coming out of a properly setup Quantar over TDMA anyday of the week. And you can still keep your analog users happy with mixed mode.

Again, I never said a word about linking repeaters in my post, just pointing out that the gear for P25 is cheap and abundant these days, surely you aren't forking over "$1800-3000" for used XTS radios or Astro Spectras are you? If so, give me a call, I've got a dozen or so I'll sell you for half of that.

Fair enough. P25 conventional works fine for a single site system. No argument there.

Can even buy scanners to listen to it. ;)

Wouldn't bother with mixed mode. That's probably another thing I didn't pay attention to, since mixed mode is just a way to keep the dead wide analog alive. Plenty of quiet analog systems in most places for those users.

I say, if you're going digital, go digital, and make it as future proof ("Hey I want a link now... how do I do that?") as possible.

Quantars aren't it. They fit only the single site model. Fine if that's all you ever want to do. No argument at all. (Honestly two site isn't that bad either. But three, you're hosed.)

Most of us will eventually want to do more than a Quantar can accomplish.

And agreed. P25 radios have dropped. They're still not below the price of a CS for DMR. And no worries about having to use proprietary pirated/unlicensed software to program them. Yeah yeah, we all know the software is "out there".

But if we are talking about "as designed and sold"... Make sure the programming software legally licensed is included. How much is the programming software these days for those rigs?

Moto giving that away free yet?

I haven't been playing much lately but I doubt it.

N4KVE

Okay, I can't ignore it any longer; if it was still 2011-2012, you might be right in stating that DMR radios have a feature that Icom D-STAR radios don't, but Icom models starting with the ID-31A do have the ability to have their firmware upgraded. Yaesu System Fusion is just the latest to have that ability.
Well that's great news for D-Star users, but there's still thousands of older D-Star radios that can't upgrade, & are stuck in 10 year old technology which these days is like a century. LOL.

N8OHU

If that's true then Icom didn't build their gateways to read it.

A fundamental misunderstanding, since the repeater and gateway do not use the D-STAR routing protocol when reflectors are involved. This is handled by the reflector client installed in parallel with the gateway, and is NOT AN ICOM PRODUCT. Source routing is extremely rare, since the vast majority of Icom repeaters have at least the DPlus reflector client installed on the gateway computer.

Why they (Yaesu) even bothered doing a mixed system is a head scratcher. Late to the game by a decade and they take up the same spectrum as analog? At least in DMR you get two channels from the same repeater for that. They just needed a product to say they could compete. Pushed WIRES on analog as their differentiator for WAY too long. And what a joke THAT is/was! ;)

From their point of view, and from the point of view of some others that were very vocal in their disappointment with Icom for failing to provide an equitable incentive to upgrade to digital, the mixed mode repeater, with the planned ability to access Wires-X from either supported mode, is a much better fit to amateur radio than requiring analog users to upgrade to be able to use the new repeater.

rusty15

Premium Subscriber
we just insalled the new yaesue digital repeater locally. we have it configured to do both digital and analog. the repeater responds to witch ever mode is transmitted. works great.So if you don"t have a digital radio you can still communicate with all users.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
Is that to say that the repeater takes in analog audio, and puts out both analog and digital audio, and visa-versa? That would be a great thing if it worked really well. I heard that there is some crossover in the repeater, where one mode interferes with the other.
I don't see how the repeater can transmit both analog and digital on the same frequency and work.

Joe KQ4BX

n2nov

The repeater can be set up as:
digital in / digital out
analog in / analog out
digital in / analog out
analog in / digital out
either in / same out (but not both at same time)

N4KVE

The repeater can be set up as:
digital in / digital out
analog in / analog out
digital in / analog out
analog in / digital out
either in / same out (but not both at same time)
Also mixed mode in [digital, or analog] /analog out. Many of the clubs are using this method, so the guys with the analog only radios will not be excluded from any activity.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Yaesu DR-1X System Fusion repeater cannot transmit in both FM and digital at the same time.

To be a bit more precise about the configuration, the Automatic Mode Select feature in the DR-1X can be configured as follows:

Receive
  • Auto -- receiver will automatically switch between analog and digital modes depending on the incoming signal.
  • Fix FM -- receiver will only detect an incoming FM signal.
  • Fix Digital -- receiver will only detect an incoming digital signal.

Transmit
  • Auto -- the transmitter will automatically switch to match the received signal. Note that this mode can only be selected if the receiver is in Auto.
  • Fix FM -- the transmitter will only transmit in FM.
  • Fix Digital -- the transmitter will only transmit in digital.

When the transmitter is in Auto, it follows the receiver mode. In other words, if two people are talking on the repeater in digital and someone keys up the repeater using FM, the repeater receiver and transmitter both switch to FM. Assuming that the digital user radios are also configured for AMS, their radios will switch to FM when the repeater switches.

Yaesu suggests that if an existing FM repeater is replaced with a DR-1X repeater, that it be configured for Rx Auto and Tx Fix FM. You can set the Tx for Auto so your digital users can take advantage of the features that go along with that mode. What I am hearing from repeater operators is that it's good practice to set up the repeater to transmit a PL tone when it's transmitting in FM mode. That way, the users with analog-only radios can set their radios to decode the PL tone. The result is that their squelch will remain closed when the repeater is transmitting in digital mode and open when the repeater is transmitting in FM mode.

Last edited:

N4KVE

Beta Max was the superior format, but VHS won. Before I went to DMR, I too was steadfast in the P25 camp. There were repeaters local to me, but no activity, so after a year of telling my DMR friends I'm on P25, I gave up & bought a DMR radio. In the first day, I had more activity than the previous year on P25. So like I've said before, you go "where the action is" whatever it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.