Which hand held scanner would you recommend

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizardofid

Quick question for the scanner users in and around New Hampshire:
"With the choice being either a Whistler TXR-1 or a Uniden BCD436HP... which scanner would you prefer/buy for use in the Carroll County area of New Hampshire"?

Bob1955

Quick question for the scanner users in and around New Hampshire:
"With the choice being either a Whistler TXR-1 or a Uniden BCD436HP... which scanner would you prefer/buy for use in the Carroll County area of New Hampshire"?
Whistler is going to exit the scanner market. I would BUY a Bearcat BCD436HP from Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland and their number is 877-568-7226 and hope this helps you. Paul makes video on YouTube and is very knowledgeable too. They offer free shipping and NO sales tax if you are a non-Maryland resident. Also, fresh stock. My buddy bought the same product and he is very happy. He had them program it for $45.00 too.
Have a nice Monday. Tell Paul that Bob from Westchester County, NY recommended them too please.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Whistler is going to exit the scanner market.

To clarify for the OP who is looking for reliable information:

Please post a link to an official source that states Whistler is exiting the scanner market. Or are you just speculating with your own opinion and not fact?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the frequencies in Carroll County, the 436 would work just fine.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
To clarify for the OP who is looking for reliable information:

Please post a link to an official source that states Whistler is exiting the scanner market. Or are you just speculating with your own opinion and not fact?

Pure speculation with a dose of hope, me thinks. Whistler has not made any announcements to that effect, the opposite in fact. Wendy explicitly stated that they were 'dedicated to the scanner market' and had new projects on the drawing board. How the OP of that statement came to that conclusion from reading Whistler's statements is beyond me. Maybe he knows something nobody else knows? Time will tell, I suppose.

JD
kf4anc

mule1075

Feed Provider
Whistler is going to exit the scanner market.

More nonsense must be using some kind of crystal ball. Whistler has not stated anything of that nature so you are just posting BS.

No back to the topic at hand to the OP the 436hp should work fine for what you want. Also the Whistler's will work also I did not look at the database to long but if no simulcast issues and phase 2 you could go with a older model 396xt or Whistler 1040 and save some dollars.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland is dropping their products.
I'm NOT going to argue with you mule1075.
Enjoy this BEAUTIFUL Spring weather everyone!

You mean the same Bearcat Warehouse that still has the TRX-100 and TRX-200 on their website? I also don't see an announcement from their page that they are dropping the line, can you point me to where they publicly announced this?

To the OP, consider a BCD325P2 if you are a casual listener. If you're locked into the two models you specified, I'd go with the TRX-1. From personal experience with unfulfilled promises from Uniden on the x36 line, I'd avoid it.

Attachments

• bcwh.JPG
    bcwh.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 10

Bob1955

You mean the same Bearcat Warehouse that still has the TRX-100 and TRX-200 on their website? I also don't see an announcement from their page that they are dropping the line, can you point me to where they publicly announced this?

To the OP, consider a BCD325P2 if you are a casual listener. If you're locked into the two models you specified, I'd go with the TRX-1. From personal experience with unfulfilled promises from Uniden on the x36 line, I'd avoid it.
Paul from Bearcat Warehouse told me this last month, Citywide173. Uniden America has always been a MUCH better made product. Whistler is the old GRE that made for Radio Shack.

marjam49

I can't speak for any of the other scanners mentioned, but the TRX 1. I live in an area where i am sandwiched in between two hills and mountainous terrain. My closest town is about 7 miles away, and i pick up everything i want to hear with my discone antenna. Before i owned the discone, i had the telescoping antenna from radio shack on it, and it did pretty well considering my locale. So if you live in an area more friendly to scanners than mine, the trx 1 I can recommend. Plus you get free updates from whistler. This scanner will do nxdn and dmr plus p25 right out of the box. You may already know this, but just thought i would point it out in case you didn't.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Bob1955

I can't speak for any of the other scanners mentioned, but the TRX 1. I live in an area where i am sandwiched in between two hills and mountainous terrain. My closest town is about 7 miles away, and i pick up everything i want to hear with my discone antenna. Before i owned the discone, i had the telescoping antenna from radio shack on it, and it did pretty well considering my locale. So if you live in an area more friendly to scanners than mine, the trx 1 I can recommend. Plus you get free updates from whistler. This scanner will do nxdn and dmr plus p25 right out of the box. You may already know this, but just thought i would point it out in case you didn't.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
I'm well aware of this marjam49-thanks!

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
wizardofid - I would Recommend the TRX-1 or the Whistler 1080 series of Scanners over what Uniden offers.
the TRX-1 comes with EX scan and is Better to use than Sentinel. best of all the TRX-1 comes with the Entire USA and Canada database on the SD card and you can Update it for FREE using Radio Reference. the TRX-1 is a solid performer out of the Box.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
wizardofid - I would Recommend the TRX-1 or the Whistler 1080 series of Scanners over what Uniden offers.
the TRX-1 comes with EX scan and is Better to use than Sentinel. best of all the TRX-1 comes with the Entire USA and Canada database on the SD card and you can Update it for FREE using Radio Reference. the TRX-1 is a solid performer out of the Box.

The BCD-436HP also comes with the RRDB on a SD card. You CAN NOT update the database using Radio Reference, you must use the proprietary software for the respective scanner (E-Z Scan or Sentinel), as the licensing agreement is between Radio Reference and Uniden or Whistler, not the end user. As far as E-Z Scan vs. Sentinel, that is your opinion-I find Sentinel much easier to work with.

GM

Premium Subscriber
In my travels in Carroll County, NH in the past, I did just fine with the PSR 500/RS Pro 106/Pro 651 since most of what I monitored was VHF conventional and P25 Phase 1 trunked. Although this was based on my travels from 3 years ago, I see from the database that this hold true for the most part. This would also save you a good chunk of cash, depending on what specifically you would like to monitor. I have found that the GRE based (Whistler) products seem to have a much better reciever with VHF and UHF freqs than Uniden. Both companies have their pros and flaws with their products.

APX7500X2

I use the BCD325P2 all the time when im up in that area, works like a charm and is under $375
It does P25, DMR & NXDN great and is easy to use

wizardofid

I use the BCD325P2 all the time when im up in that area, works like a charm and is under $375
It does P25, DMR & NXDN great and is easy to use

APX7500X2... Thank you for your response. I broke down and bought a Whistler TRX-1 and so far I am please with how how well it operates and how easy it is to program with EZ Scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.