• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Which Minitor to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weanis

Hi, I am fairly new to this site. I would like to carry something with me like a Motorola Minitor to hear what is going on around my local area. I don't have a clue on which one to get, which frequency or channel or what ever options are available. Basically I am just an amateur who wants to know whats going on. Can I buy one that is all ready to go, so I don't have to have anything else done to it? Which one do I need, or what do I need to look for? I want one shipped to my door ready to be turned on an working for my local area. Any ideas would be great.
I live in Grand Haven, Michigan, we have 3 local fire stations. Grand Haven, Grand Haven Township, and (were I live) Robinson Township

svfd17

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/389)

Your best bet would be to just get a really small hand held scanner or something small like a yaesu vx7, because minitors tend to be very expansive more so than standard two way radios. I have an icom f60 and its pretty small but commercial radios have to be programmed so I think you should be looking towards smaller ham type gear for what you would be using it for.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Buy a scanner. Why limit yourself to 1 or 2 channels that you cannot even reprogram without software and a cradle?

svfd17

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/389)

In my opinion the only thing my pager is good for is tripping when I have a call. If I want to monitor the fire channels I'll use my portables or a scanner, the reception on pagers generally suck.

Weanis

Thank you for the fast replies. I have a radioshack Pro-51 scanner right now that I just keep plugged in at home that is programmed for Police and Fire. I was told it was illegal for me to carry this around in my vehicle. Is this true? Also it seems to bulky to carry around. I will look into yaesu vx7. I see people come into my shop all the time with the Minitors so I figured that was the route to go.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I would suggest a digital scanner. With most of the public safety comms moving over to MPSCS, it will be very useful.

NCFire11

Thank you for the fast replies. I have a radioshack Pro-51 scanner right now that I just keep plugged in at home that is programmed for Police and Fire. I was told it was illegal for me to carry this around in my vehicle. Is this true? Also it seems to bulky to carry around. I will look into yaesu vx7. I see people come into my shop all the time with the Minitors so I figured that was the route to go.

Not at all illegal to carry a scanner in your vehicle.

Devilz311

Not at all illegal to carry a scanner in your vehicle.

Michigan used to issue permits for having a scanner in a moving vehicle, and it was illegal to operate on without it. From what I read, they stopped issuing permits, and it varies by local ordinance.

Maybe someone from Michigan can explain it a little better.

lindsay34654

michigan

Scanners in vehicles

Police scanners can be used in your vehicle. A permit from the Michigan State Police is no longer required under amendments to section 750.508 that became effective on May 31, 2006.

Felons

A person convicted of one or more felonies within the preceding five years cannot possess a police scanner under any circumstances. A violation is a misdemeanor that can result in fines of up to $1,000 and imprisonment for up to one year, or both.

Read more: The Laws in Michigan for Police Scanners | eHow.com The Laws in Michigan for Police Scanners | eHow.com

justonymsu

Also in MI you cannot have a scanner with you if you are commiting a misdemeanor or a felony. Other then that there is no reason you cannot have one with you at all times. if you get a pro-106 from radio shack you can have all the MPSCS sytem and all other local stuff you want and if you need help programming just yell.

Weanis

Thank you everyone for your fast reply's. I will look into the scanner from Radioshack and I'm sure I will give you a "yell" when I get it home and need help setting it up :) I read awhile back the law about the scanners but it seems you have to be a lawyer to understand the jibberish. Thanks Again!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.