Which mobile rig should I get with a Satcom antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleaches

Hi sorry if this is a newbie question. Did some research and didn't seem like anyone has tried to set up a mobile car platform multiband Ham radio that can also pick up Milcom Satcom frequencies.

I have a Trivec Avant satcom antenna I purchased not too long ago and have been looking for a good radio rig I can wire into my truck for two way use and the occasional Milair band monitoring use. Because of this antenna I am trying to find a good mobile rig that covers 225-400mhz as well as the usual bands. Most seem to skip the military band.

My idea is when I get bored and am just sitting around I will just disconnect regular antenna and deploy the Satcom antenna on the roof and monitor traffic.

Is there any good recommendations?

This is the antenna I have. Will prob get a pre-amp for it too.
XZ2c79k.png

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
depend where you life there is a language barrier.
I dont speak Spanish, Italian or Russian. So Satcom is a very boring thing.

prcguy

When I was visiting Brazil last year a friend and ham had a common Icom VHF/UHF dual band radio in his car with a small dual band Comet antenna and he listened to UHF satcom all the time. I don't remember the model of the radio but I will look for it in a video I made of him receiving some Brazilian pirates on the car radio.
prcguy

Hi sorry if this is a newbie question. Did some research and didn't seem like anyone has tried to set up a mobile car platform multiband Ham radio that can also pick up Milcom Satcom frequencies.

I have a Trivec Avant satcom antenna I purchased not too long ago and have been looking for a good radio rig I can wire into my truck for two way use and the occasional Milair band monitoring use. Because of this antenna I am trying to find a good mobile rig that covers 225-400mhz as well as the usual bands. Most seem to skip the military band.

My idea is when I get bored and am just sitting around I will just disconnect regular antenna and deploy the Satcom antenna on the roof and monitor traffic.

Is there any good recommendations?

This is the antenna I have. Will prob get a pre-amp for it too.
XZ2c79k.png

byndhlptom

SatComm

You do realize that 225-400 is a Military Aircraft (AM) band, not a Ham band. Mostly Aircraft to aircraft and aircraft to ground traffic.

Other than Mil surplus aircraft/ground radios, not much else is usable in that block.

$.02

toastycookies

You do realize that 225-400 is a Military Aircraft (AM) band, not a Ham band. Mostly Aircraft to aircraft and aircraft to ground traffic.

Other than Mil surplus aircraft/ground radios, not much else is usable in that block.

$.02

I think you're a bit confused. You're in the SATCOM sub. OP is trying to listen to birds, not planes. He is trying to listen to FM, not AM.

71MiG1n.jpg

Your_account

Banned
I am in Europe so in Theorie I could get F-3.
What kind of Freq does the use? And hot to aim to?

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
OT but look at the link below. It is in German, but Google translate should convert to your language.

Satellitenwelt - UHF Militär-Satelliten im GEO, HEO und LEO

Antenna pointing info here:

Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

While the MILSATs aren't listed, just pick a satellite from the drop down list that is at or near the Longitude of the MILSAT you are interested in.

Example: put in your location, then for (say) UFO F2 at 29.1 degrees East, pick XTAR-EUR at 29 degrees East for the azimuth and elevation data calculation.

Your_account

Banned
Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com
i know it but the dont explan what
Elevation: 23.6°
Azimuth (true): 226.7°
Azimuth (magn.): 222.7°
mean.
OT but look at the link below. It is in German, but Google translate should convert to your language.
Thanks i know it but i dont need to translate it.
And I get only some Romanian Pirates.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
i know it but the dont explan what
Elevation: 23.6°
Azimuth (true): 226.7°
Azimuth (magn.): 222.7°
mean.Thanks i know it but i dont need to translate it.
And I get only some Romanian Pirates.

Elevation is how high up you point your antenna. 0 is horizontal, 90 is straight up.

Azimuth (true) 0/360 is pointing towards the North Pole, 180 points towards the South Pole, actual angle is circle right(clockwise) from 0 until you get to a bearing of 226.7.

Azimuth (magnetic) 0/360 is pointing at the magnetic North Pole, 180 points at the south magnetic pole. Actual angle is clockwise(circle right) from 0 until you get a bearing of 222.7.

It appears that your magnetic declination is about +4 degrees where you live(assuming these values are for where you live for that particular sat.

Status
Not open for further replies.