Which Of The Chinese Amateur Radio Manufacturers Will Start Adding Another Digital Mode & Which Mode Would It Likely Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9mwr

I just wrote an article for our local club on this topic. I'll share it here. In the article I look back at how the TNC (for packet radio) came into commercial production. I think sitting around waiting for a manufacturer like Anytone (if I had to make a guess), to put more than one mode in a rig, isn't really how its supposed to work in my opinion.

---

Multiprotocol Digital Voice

Most of my ham radio "on the air" time has historically been mobile. It’s a convenient way to enjoy the hobby when you'd otherwise not have the time to sit in front of a radio. So that is VHF/UHF. Unfortunately we have a lack of standards adopted by the community so we have this digital fragmentation problem. While repeater-to-repeater network layer cross mode solutions exist (like DVSwitch and XLXD), we still are waiting for a digital HT and or mobile radio that supports more than one digital mode.

But the problem is worse than that. We don't even have a direct way to talk on the various modes over our smartphones, like you can with Echolink.

A number of people seem convinced the AMBE patents are a part of the problem. Lets review:

Patents are protected for the longer of 17 years from issue date or 20 years from filing date. Patents are still applicable for DMR, YSF (Yaesu Fusion), and NXDN. They should all expire by 2022, but sadly Patent 8,359,197B2 was filed on April 1, 2003. USPTO tardily granted it on January 22, 2013. In compliance with legal guarantees, USPTO granted the patent a 5-year and 51-day extension. This patent would expire on May 22, 2028.

Open source advocate, Bruce Perens gave a talk a while back about possibly trying to invalidate it some years back. But since that costs money to pursue, and there are exceptions for non-commercial/ research usage of patented technology, that would really only benefit potential manufactures.

The AMBE patents aren't really the biggest problem. Solutions already exist. If you want better solutions those won't just come along when those patents expire anyway.

As an example, D-Star is already fully cleared of AMBE patents and has been since 2017. A potential conflict, impeding software AMBE is the dplus person, AA4RC. The creator of the DV dongle.

Software decoding (and encoding) tools exist. DSD, DSD+, op25, md380 emulator, etc. And a couple of those are open source. I'd say it’s just a matter of finding coders.
nostar/dudestar
multi_tx.py\tx\apps\gr-op25_repeater\op25 - op25 - Osmocom OP25
dv_tx.py\tx\apps\gr-op25_repeater\op25 - op25 - Osmocom OP25

In my opinion, Max, KA1RBI and Doug, AD8DP should have a large fan base, as they are the unsung heros trying their best to move things forward, with zero monetary interest.... true hams!

I suspect another part of the problem why we don't have chipless AMBE access over the internet to at least the D-Star networks is because our current architecture relies on hardware AMBE for authentication/access. If software AMBE apps were easily and readily available then this would open a can of worms as there is no current way to restrict access to just hams.

So this is something that needs thought by the US Trust (REF) and truthfully is more likely to be supported by some of the other splinter reflector network operators, like XRF, DCS, XLX..

And Brandmeister, Marc and other DMR network operators also need to get together and do some thinking too and come to a consensus on a new network protocol that actually has end user protocol level authentication, ie, password/ auth token.

As software AMBE becomes easier to install, presently I don't see anything that prevents someone from streaming AMBE audio at an IP address/UDP port and having it coming out over a repeater or group of repeaters.

If you are interested in ever seeing a cheap HT that can do more than one digital voice mode, then I suggest promoting and starting to learn about the above mentioned open source Digital Voice projects. It's fairly clear to me after waiting years for things like the CS7000, DV4mobile and the “HT of the Future” to materialize, we (the hams) need to repeat the steps of the how the TNC (for packet radio) came to be readily available from commercial suppliers.

So let’s look back at how that came to be:
If you recall the TNC was started by Vancouver Area Digital Communications Group (VADCG) and it started as kits. Kantronics and Paccomm came later to offer it commercially. That is how it is supposed to work. We the hams innovate, and commercial guys can pick it up if they see it as something there is a business model for.

The Vancouver guys (especially Doug Lockhart) were the real pioneers, but it was a small experimentally-minded group that wasn't really thinking about mass-marketing yet.

A couple of Arizona hams with a vision took things to the next level. They designed their own TNC and formed Tucson Amateur Packet Radio (TAPR) to market it as a kit. The TNC-2 (their second version) eventually became a huge hit. But TAPR was (and still is) a volunteer organization, and volunteers can only go so far in making hardware. Even if you're a nonprofit, somebody has to sink a lot of money into a parts inventory. You need boards made. You need somebody to take the orders, package up the kits, and ship them. For volunteers, that eventually gets old though I'm amazed at how dedicated some of them still are.

So TAPR approached ham manufacturers and gave them the complete TNC-2 design for free. Yet TAPR still had to plead and beg them to build and sell it. TAPR wasn't trying to make a profit, they were simply trying to get packet radio into the ham mainstream and they couldn't do it alone.

Ham manufacturers are a fairly conservative bunch. They don't want to invest in anything unless they know it's going to sell. And that's hard for the kind of radical innovations that technically oriented hams like to work on just for fun. To coin a phrase, there's a real impedance mismatch between the two groups. Fortunately, much of the innovation now is purely in the form of software, which is much easier to mass-produce than hardware. So all you need the manufacturers for is to make general purpose SDR hardware, which is an easier sell than some new special mode.

The purpose of this article isn't just to bring awareness, it’s to hopefully attract some dormant hams with software coding skills to join forces and to help propel the projects and move ham radio forward.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
@kb8mwr

I love your passion. The technical limitations just don’t exist to have a multi-protocol transceiver, to that point Kenwood currently offers the NX-5x00 series LMR portables and mobiles that support NXDN conventional, NXDN trunking, DMR tier 2, a proprietary timeslot trunking format, DMR tier 3 trunking, P25 conventional, P25 phase 1 trunking and P25 phase 2 trunking. While it will only simultaneously support 2 voice protocols(DMR and NXDN, DMR and P25, NXDN and P25 or DMR and P25) it is a very versatile radio. However it is expensive(compared to the average hammy radio) and really requires computer based software to set up.

I the biggest hurdle, in my opinion, is hams them selves. For a few reasons:

1, Hams are cheap. Case in point the proliferation of garbage $30 radios.

2, Related to point one, the price point for this radio, IMHO will be too high to be reasonable profitable.

3, Only a ‘Baofeng’ or ‘Anytone’ type company will be able to do it cheap enough for hams. The ‘big three’ will not be able to do it at a price point that will appeal to the average ham.

A do everything radio is going to mediocre. I like the concept but I just don’t see it being done very well.

kb9mwr

Yeah I am aware of the Kenwood radio, and the Motorola APX Next radio sounds a lot like that HT of the future. Again the price point is crappy for the amateur market. Actually the Kenwood NX radio isn't horrible, if it had modes more of amateur interest. A winner would be something with DMR and another mode in my opinion.

To me Anytone seems to be a happy medium, between Baofeng garbage and Motorola insanity.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There's no reason a radio can't have dozens of digital modes and still function well. The only difference between P25 and DMR etc is software. As long as the hardware has the memory needed to support a new digital mode, adding another one has zero impact on RF performance for previously installed modes.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Yeah I am aware of the Kenwood radio, and the Motorola APX Next radio sounds a lot like that HT of the future. Again the price point is crappy for the amateur market. Actually the Kenwood NX radio isn't horrible, if it had modes more of amateur interest. A winner would be something with DMR and another mode in my opinion.

To me Anytone seems to be a happy medium, between Baofeng garbage and Motorola insanity.

The APX Next is a P25 phase 1 and phase 2 only radio.

the NX series won’t ever have Fusion or D-Star. The NX series is a LMR radio.

The Anytone is a decent radio. It’s too bad they don’t actually properly test their firmware before releasing it.

That is my biggest issue with these Chinese hammy radios is they fix a bug, that breaks something else. CSI, Anytone and others can’t seem to write decent firmware.

Motorola isn’t much better, but the XPR series seems to be pretty stable.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
There's no reason a radio can't have dozens of digital modes and still function well. The only difference between P25 and DMR etc is software. As long as the hardware has the memory needed to support a new digital mode, adding another one has zero impact on RF performance for previously installed modes.

Except hammy grade radios are not known for their stellar specs...

kb9mwr

The Anytone is a decent radio. It’s too bad they don’t actually properly test their firmware before releasing it.

I have read that, but for that matter Yaesu can be blamed for that as well.

In my opinion, the ham community could use a few more folks like Travis Goodspeed (KK4VCZ), the guy that did the MD380 hacking. I'd like to see more radio firmware supported by the community vs the manufacturer.

As for the only difference between P25 and DMR being software comment... DMR is the odd duck, all the other modes are basically a FM carrier with digital modulation. Good luck trying to switch a regular rig on and off fast enough needed for the dual time slot function of DMR.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Oh please. DMR is not the only TDMA digital mode. There are plenty of ham-grade radios that do DMR just fine. No hardware reason they couldn't do P25 too, if the right firmware could be loaded.

JASII

Memory Capacity
SOME RANDOM ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS

A number of months have passed since I made the original post on this. I now have a DVMEGA Cast device. I really like the fact that it will work on DMR, D-Star and YSF.

With regards to the voice modes on amateur radio, as opposed to ATV, CW, RTTY, etc., I do think that a number of people simply want something that works. While certainly not everybody would want this, I think we are pretty close to having a device, be it in a mobile or portable form factor, that will access whatever network, be it DMR, D-Star, YSF, NXDN, APCO P-25, or even other digital modes, by connecting via wifi, Ethernet cable or SIM card on whatever your cellular network of choice is. In addition to that, having simplex aboard is huge in my way of thinking. Probably all will have analog, as well as any other digital mode(s).

Back to which digital mode for a bit, does anybody here have any hard numbers regarding DMR, D-Star, YSF, NXDN, APCO P-25 as far as how to quantify and compare. As much as I use NXDN every work day, it is not a mode that I am looking to buy for my next amateur radio. That is not to say that it is a bad mode. There just aren't a lot of repeaters near me on that mode. Again, I could use a hotspot to get on the air. The is only one NXDN repeater listed in Minnesota, according to the Minnesota Repeater Council list.

As far as APCO P25 goes, I have had Motorola XTS5000 portables and an APX7000. They are great HTs and P25 is a great mode. I like how Quantar repeaters can seamlessly pass analog or P25. The problem, for me at least, is the local P25 repeater, which worked very well on P25, has now been configured to analog only! Some fellow amateurs complained that they were hearing noise when we used the P25 mode when the listened in the analog mode, carrier squelch. They either didn't know how to turn on PL decode on their radios or didn't want to turn it on. So, I ended up selling my Motorola equipment. Sure, it still works very well on analog. Yes, I could use it with a hotspot to other linked P25 repeaters. (I am just assuming that there are some linked P25 repeaters.) I even used it to monitor federal P25 frequencies. (However, most are running encryption, so I really wasn't monitoring much.)

Now Yaesu ticked me off years ago when they were hinting about forthcoming digital mode(s) some years back. When it was announced that they would have transceivers using C4FM, I sold all four of my Yaesu FT8800 so that I could afford to buy replacement mobiles. I assumed, incorrectly, that they would be manufacturing amateur radio with the APCO P25 standard. It made sense to me since Yaesu all ready made P25 commercial radios. Then, I found out later, it would not be P25, but Yaesu System Fusion. I still haven't found out exactly why they created a different version of C4FM. Does anybody here know?

I was not an early adopter of Icom D-Star. I am sure that price had a lot to do with. I was slow to warm up to the concept and pony up the cash because I just decided that talking on a digital mode, instead of analog, on a local repeater didn't interest me all that much. When it heard that it sounded "star War-ish", that turned me off even more. Now, of course, knowing that there is linking going on, I would be a bit more interested.

When I first saw DMR on display at a local hamfest, I was slow to warm up to that, too. They has a Motorola XPR mobile set up on a power supply. Having used Motorola equipment in the past and paying through the nose for their software, I must admit I was hesitant. Would it be like my P25 gear? Would the local repeater go back to analog only? My first equipment for it was from Connect Systems. It was UHF only. I would have preferred a dual band radio, but when I purchased, there might not have actually been any dual-band DMR HTs yet. I must say that the dual time slot capability of DMR Tier 2 is huge advantage, as far as I am concerned. Think about it, if your local analog, or other digital mode repeater is in use, you can't use it. If you can access a DMR repeater, you can still use a talkgroup on the other Time Slot. I am not sure if a lot of my fellow hams realize that.

Anyway, enough of the ramblings about the various digital modes, maybe all will still be around many years from now and maybe not. Will the better modes prevail or will the least expensive choices prevail? Only time will tell. I will say, though, that if "end user" amateurs all have easy access to multiple digital modes, that may change things. Many amateurs, new to digital, will ask, "What mode should I select?" The question is a logical one. The answer is often, "What modes are the local repeaters using?" It makes sense. If you live in, or near, an area that has only one repeater operating in a digital mode, it is quite likely that is the one you will select.

Sure, hotspots have made access to the various modes much easier. For example, you might live in a very rural area, but really are intrigued by the idea of DMR. Get a DMR radio, a digital hotspot, connect to internet via wifi or networking cable and you can be "on the air."

I would also suggest that the nature of the amateur radio hobby is sort of like many sub-hobbies under the amateur radio hobby. Some hams love to use CW. Some are QRP guys. Others like satellites. Cool stuff. The nice thing about analog FM repeaters for years has been many hams with different interests can chat locally about the other ham activities. The nice thing about linked digital modes is you can talk to other hams around the world with a pretty modest amount of financial investment. You can be in Chicago, talking on DMR, to a ham in Las Vegas, about your passion for Amateur Television.

Back to my interests. I am leaning towards being more of a minimalist as time goes one. While it is not an amateur radio, I do have a Unication G5 to monitor my local public safety. Now that doesn't mean I spend my time volunteering to direct traffic at marathons and bike races. I am glad people do, but I just want to listen to what is happening locally, in my county.

The DVMEGA Cast allows me to access DMR, D-Star and YSF. As long as I have internet, I can get "on the air." I have an AnyTone 878 and it goes from house to vehicle. I have a Rugged Spot hotspot in my vehicle and keep an AT&T hotspot in their for internet. I am good on equipment, for now. When, or if, someone develops a DVMEGA Cast HT, I might get interested. Considering the popularity of Zello and other internet radio apps, there are a lot of people that just want conversation. At the end of the day, they might not even care all that much what mode it is, they just want to chat. They know they can use their smartphones, which have a small form factor, to chat, why not have a small amateur radio, that works almost anywhere, to just chat. Again, insert your SIM card for your network of choice, log in with your callsign and other information and get "on the air."

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
DMR is the odd duck, all the other modes are basically a FM carrier with digital modulation. Good luck trying to switch a regular rig on and off fast enough needed for the dual time slot function of DMR.

DMR is not an ‘odd duck’. DMR, P25(NOT CQPSK/WQPSK/HQPSKsimulcast wavef. NXDN, and YSF are all 4FSK. Even non-simulcast P25 phase 2.

The only difference is TDMA.

Yeasu/Kenwood/Icom have yet to offer a TDMA capable radio in their amateur suite of radios. I also doubt they will. Yaesu is 110% commuted to FDMA/4FSK YSF. Icom is commited(In their hammy line of radios) to GMSK D-Star. Kenwood also appears to be committed to GMSK D-Star in their hammy radios too.

I also don’t expect them to offer either NXDN or P25.

rapidcharger

which of the Chinese amateur radio manufactures will add another digital mode and which digital mode would it likely be?

The thing with the "Chinese amateur radio manufacturers" is they aren't primarily amateur radio manufacturers. They make radios for business/industrial/law enforcement..... whoever.
They're a long way off from developing some new software or really do much in the way of innovating for an itty bitty amateur radio market or some one-off public safety protocol like P25 when it's primarily only used by cops in North America and they're never going to buy Chinese radios.

There's 2 P25 repeaters currently on the air in my state on VHF. I monitor one of them daily. It's a retired Quantar. With the exception of the small group of regular users who primarily use it in analog, nobody seeks it out for the digital capability. Without repeaters, there won't be much demand for digital radios. I know everyone wants to use what the boys in blue use so they can walk around with expensive Motorola walkie talkies looking like cops, but P25 isn't going to go anywhere in the amateur service and from the looks of things, we've probably reached peak DMR too. The last one standing will probably be D-star or YSF. It's easier and it just works and it sounds relatively sorta okay. Anytone/Bearfung will not get their grubs on either of those.

JASII

Memory Capacity
DMR is still growing, and has far more market share than D-Star and YSF combined.

That speaks volumes. I am not a marketing guy, but since Icom already has the Death Star, why not simply add DMR as an additional mode?

Similarly, since Yaesu already has System Confusion, why not simply add DMR as an additional mode?

I have known people that are brand loyal to Icom or Yaesu. They might not go out and buy a separate DMR radio, but if it were added to an existing line of Icom or Yaesu transceivers, at least some of them would try it.

kb9mwr

That speaks volumes. I am not a marketing guy, but since Icom already has the Death Star, why not simply add DMR as an additional mode?

Similarly, since Yaesu already has System Confusion, why not simply add DMR as an additional mode?

I have known people that are brand loyal to Icom or Yaesu. They might not go out and buy a separate DMR radio, but if it were added to an existing line of Icom or Yaesu transceivers, at least some of them would try it.

Yeah I don't get that either. It would seem like a no-brainer that if you added another mode to your radio it would become more popular.

Corporate pride or rather corporate stupidity is really the only reason that I can see.

JASII

Memory Capacity
The thing with the "Chinese amateur radio manufacturers" is they aren't primarily amateur radio manufacturers. They make radios for business/industrial/law enforcement..... whoever.
They're a long way off from developing some new software or really do much in the way of innovating for an itty bitty amateur radio market or some one-off public safety protocol like P25 when it's primarily only used by cops in North America and they're never going to buy Chinese radios...

A couple of follow up random thoughts on this. China really isn't innovating much of anything, from my perspective. They are really good at copying things, though. I am an ATVer. I have a two Can Ams. I am seeing more and more CF Moto ATVs out on trails. To their credit, their ATVs compared to other ATV manufacturers look better than say the Russian motorcycles copying Japanese motorcycles.

Next up is the radio transceiver as we know it. Look for more places to go to LTE devices as in Push-to-Talk Over Cellular. Now as much as I am a huge advocate of having simplex built in for when you are out of network coverage, probably many won't be concerned about that. It is going to be a real challenge for many organizations to justify building their own network when the cellular network is already there. Sure, there are recurring fees to access it, but there are also recurring costs to maintain your own network.

kb9mwr

Has anyone noticed this?

Interesting idea, and makes sense. I wish someone would take that headless concept and apply it to an updated Digital Voice adapter.

Back when D-Star was new, Satoshi Yasuda 7M3TJZ/AD6GZ created this less popular DV adapter. His GMSK Node Adapter received wider recognition. But the DV adapter, interfaced to the packet radio port of an analog radio, and you plugged a microphone into it and talked directly rather than a something you use as a passive gateway device with a HT.

I see this idea of serving the control head over wifi/bluetooth to ones phone as a way to simplify an updated DV adapter that could also support P25, YSF, in addition to D-Star. I don't think one is going to be able to do DMR, due to the limitation of interfacing to an analog rig. But we have plenty of DMR options already anyway.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
FWIW, my son just bought a VR-N7500 at Hamcation. Very interesting concept.

I would personally like to see a radio that does both D-Star and DMR. Those are the two most popular digital modes around my QTH.

I once read a statement by Icom that they would not release a DMR radio to their LMR product line. They are committed to NXDN, and would not surprise me if they say the same thing about D-Star.

kb9mwr

FWIW, my son just bought a VR-N7500 at Hamcation. Very interesting concept.

I would personally like to see a radio that does both D-Star and DMR. Those are the two most popular digital modes around my QTH.

I once read a statement by Icom that they would not release a DMR radio to their LMR product line. They are committed to NXDN, and would not surprise me if they say the same thing about D-Star.

A radio that transmits one mode, but can receive more than one would even be welcome.

I miss the days of carrying around a VX-5, capable of listening to TV audio (when it was still analog), listening to public safety, and all the ham traffic as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.