Which Of The Chinese Amateur Radio Manufacturers Will Start Adding Another Digital Mode & Which Mode Would It Likely Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
A radio that transmits one mode, but can receive more than one would even be welcome.

I miss the days of carrying around a VX-5, capable of listening to TV audio (when it was still analog), listening to public safety, and all the ham traffic as well.

Yes, it would be welcome. I have listened to TV for many years. It started over forty years ago. Duluth MN had a channel six television station. I could tune the audio portion of the NTSC on 87.7 on my FM stereo.

Somewhat later I bought a C Crane CC Radio. It had a tuner for TV audio VHF 2-13.

My Sony clock radio had a TV audio tuner. Again, for NTSC VHF audio.

I bought some Auto Talk devices really cheap years ago. I had one installed in my work vehicle and one in each of our personal vehicles, It actually tuned VHF and UHF TV audio. It was a very sensitive receiver and it worked very well. You entered the channel number with a small keypad and it connected to the AM-FM radio in the vehicle.

I have even used scanners and amateur radios to tune in the IFB to hear TV audio. Usually they are 450-450.9875 and 160.640-160.760 in my area.

Now that the United States has adopted the ATSC standard, I have used a Slingbox PRO-HD, with an app on a smartphone, and selected the Audio Only mode.

I have often enjoyed the Swiss Army Knife approach to various electronic devices. For example, when amateur radios started tuning out of band, that was a nice way to listen to public safety or other radio frequencies. Now with more bands and modes, it can be more of a challenge. To give credit to where it is due, AOR has often been at the forefront of wide range receivers that will monitor multiple modes. While I don't own an AOR AR-DV1, it has a lot of capability.

The neat, but also challenging thing about the radio hobby is that there are different pieces of equipment that can do the same thing, but in different way. For example, dual band mobile or HT ham radios can monitor police, fire, EMS out of band. Or, buy land mobile commercial equipment and program in amateur frequencies. There are pros and cons to each. Most Motorola radios don't have a VFO mode, so it can be more challenging to program in the field or on the fly. Most amateur radios scan slower than LMR gear and don't always have a true priority. Scanners can be programmed to listen to ham or public safety.

rapidcharger

China really isn't innovating much of anything
An example of what I meant by innovate is say... a mobile radio that does crossband or inband repeat over dmr. Cough cough anytone cough cough.
I agree about ptt over lte but then again I don't see that picking up much speed in the amateur market. That is literally as close to "why don't you just use a cell phone" as you can get. As a ham the only infrastructure-dependent communication that interests me is the Icom Iridium PTT radio. Generally speaking I am somewhat averse to using things that are dependent on the Internet or private networks and even repeaters to a certain extent.

cmwang

The Sicomm's Chinese web page claims their DMR/DPMR baseband processor SCT3258 might support NXDN via firmware update. Since AT-D868/D878 is based on SCT3258,maybe Anytone will add NXDN support to AT-D868/D878 in someday. But there is no such statement in Sicomm's English web page.

Status
Not open for further replies.