Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Sangean ATS-909X

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dnlbrrg

My birthday is coming up and I get to pick out a new radio, I have it narrowed down to these two:

Grundig Satellit 750
Sangean ATS-909X

Forget portability and looks. In terms of performance, which one would you pick?

dnlbrrg

Token,

I got my choices narrowed down to those two due to getting great reviews (mostly) and affordable prices. I have a Grundig Field Radio 450 and (contrary to popular views) it has been a great first radio with some minor modifications I made. Now I just want something more "powerful" with cleaner sound/reception.

ermin

I've had the Grundig S350 for a few years now and after over 25 years of Radio Shack radios I'm not very happy with it. After the first set of batteries died I replaced them and lost the lower half of the FM broadcast band. Tried the reset button (that does not work either) and cannot get it back again. I used a DX-360 for over 10 years and got the Grundig thinking it was an upgrade. Went back to the DX-360 when I had trouble with the Grundig. It was out of warranty by a few months so I could pay about as much as it costs new to ship it in for repair.

Ermin

ridgescan

I voted Grundig as being the lesser of two made in china evils because I've read folks mostly like this radio, my own personal experience with two Grundig portables was that they have excellant reception quality especially on MW, and you have a nice little analog meter and interesting look and that MW bar you can tweek. Plus I think it will hold itself on the table/desk better while you're DXing.

Pigmeat

I've owned two Sangean 909's. The receiver is a improved design on the old Sony 2001.

My only complaints would be so-so SW reception with the whip and being a battery hog. Other than that,the tuning is superb,image rejection is unmatched in portables,you can hook the thing to a beverage and it will not overload.

Go with the provided power supply and use an external antenna. The thing is a little dx machine on mw/sw with an outboard antenna.

There's a reason I've owned two of 'em,they're great radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.