Which Ohio Skywarn is best for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregOH

I would like to have a Skywarn frequency programmed into my handhelds and I'm wondering which would be best for me.

I checked Tuscarawas county Broadcastify to see if there is a live feed and the frequency noted in the feed notes and there isn't. So I went to the database and used frequencies local to me with a Tune search and when I use 146.7300 Tusco ARC (Stone Creek) I hear periodic transmissions stating the date, time, frequency, the W8ZX callsign and 71.9 PL tone. I had one of my radios paused on this frequency a couple days ago when WeatherUSA.net was sending severe weather warnings to my phone and did hear a bit of talk on the radio, but not much and hard to make out.

Is this what I want programmed into my radios, or is there a different frequency I should use?

phask

Premium Subscriber
I would like to have a Skywarn frequency programmed into my handhelds and I'm wondering which would be best for me.

I checked Tuscarawas county Broadcastify to see if there is a live feed and the frequency noted in the feed notes and there isn't. So I went to the database and used frequencies local to me with a Tune search and when I use 146.7300 Tusco ARC (Stone Creek) I hear periodic transmissions stating the date, time, frequency, the W8ZX callsign and 71.9 PL tone. I had one of my radios paused on this frequency a couple days ago when WeatherUSA.net was sending severe weather warnings to my phone and did hear a bit of talk on the radio, but not much and hard to make out.

Is this what I want programmed into my radios, or is there a different frequency I should use?

I think Coshocton may do a Net. but IMHO there is little activity in Eastern/SE Ohio.

GregOH

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
"Same" is the code that fires off an NOAA alert broadcast...
Skywarn is live amateur radio storm watchers...

kf8yk

I'll want to program a SAME code into a handheld digital and the frequencies don't match. At the link you posted, frequencies are 14x.xxx and 16x.xxx at the page with SAME codes.

SAME codes are only used with NWS weather radio on the 162 MHz frequencies. The 2 meter ham (14x.xxx) frequencies are used by the Skywarn program for feeding weather observations back to the NWS and not as a means of alerting the general public.

The use of amateur radio in the Skywarn program varies considerably across the state. Some counties have well established groups with formal nets and a lot of participation, in others the program is virtually non-existent.

You are also split between two Skywarn districts: Wayne, Stark and Knox are in the Cleveland district and Tuscarawas is in the Pittsburgh district. The Cleveland district frequencies were provided earlier in this thread, the Pittsburgh list is here: Pittsburgh Skywarn

GregOH

Ok, I have frequencies programmed from both links posted.

I have an old Pro-135 and since there's no active conventional Public Safety in Tusc county, I'll dedicate that radio to monitor Skywarn frequencies.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

n4yek

Try getting on one of these neighboring counties Skywarn frequencies that are listed here and see if they cover your area. My area here in TN covers 6 counties and they might be doing the same thing.
(look under the Amatuer Radio tab)

GregOH

This may be a dumb question, but this is new to me and I'm unsure how things are communicated.

Since most severe weather approaches from the South and West (most of the time) would it be best to have neighboring counties from that direction programmed in to stay ahead of the storm, or does it not work that way?

kf8yk

Most SAME capable weather radios and scanners permit multiple SAME codes, so you could get alerted on those adjacent counties. Some even allow you to filter on the event type (watch vs warning, flood, tornado, etc.)

Try to find a transmitter that carries all the counties that you wish to be alerted on: County Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.