which one is better

Status
Not open for further replies.

retiredupsguy

im looking at a uniden bcd396t used but complete with box vs a brand new rs pro106 or rs pro 197 both the radio shacks i can get for 269.00 online, the uniden will cost me 250.00 and the guy lives very close and its ready to go for the area im in , anyone have any advice or an opinion on these scanners thanks

N8IAA

If you are looking for a portable. The 106 will out do the 396T hands down. Audio is better, 800MHz is better. I have had a 106 for three years now and love it. I have a 197 which is used for my main base receiver. If you are going to go with a 396, make sure it is a "XT" version. It does a ton more than the "T". Go to the wiki here on RR and see what the differences are. I think you will change your mind. There are a few people on this site that like the "T" for different reasons. There are a lot of posts about the "T" version. Check it out before making a decision based on cost:)
HTH,
Larry

n4yek

I have the 396T, I love this radio, but the 106 would be a better radio for you. I got the Uniden 396T for one reason, it will scan in the 70 MHz range where GRE made scanners will not. The TN Highway Patrol has one weird setup when it comes to communications and without access to the 70 MHz area, you get one sided communications if you live in East Tennessee.
The 106 will receive much better than the 396T, but is more prone to front-end overload while receiving strong signals close to you. You can turn on the attenuator to fix this problem though, the 396T is a little weaker on receive and doesn't have this problem.

So to end this, if I were to buy a new scanner right now, the 106 would probably be the one I would choose.
Have fun and enjoy your scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.