Which one is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chev_am

I recently got a Radio Shack pro-94, And I've been looking for a new antenna for it.
I've been looking at a Center Loaded Telescoping Whip antenna. I monitor Trunked, VHF- hi, and UHF-Lo. Thanks for the input.

ace755

Any one of the three will improve your reception compared to the stock antenna.

RS Deluxe Antenna for Handheld Scanner
Model: 20-034

RS Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna
Model: 20-006

RS 800MHz Scanner Antenna
Model: 20-283

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Chev and all,

You ask which is better, then give one choice.

What's the difference between a duck?
One leg is each the same.

Your term "trunked" is ambiguous since trunking is used on UHF and 800MHz and you make no mention of either band.

OK, the center loaded antenna works like that strange duck, it's a center loaded quarter wave on VHF Lo Band, below the coil a quarter wave on Hi Band and a 3/4 wave on UHF. On these bands the coil is an RF choke electrically cutting off the top of the antenna. It's impossible to adjust to any resonant length on 800MHz which would be 9" below the coil or 3/4 wave.

OK, if you understand the tech talk you now have enough information to make a choice between it and the phantom antenna you never mentioned. OK, I'll take a shot in the dark and assume the phantom is the telescopic whip that came with the scanner. Unless you monitor Lo Band (you don't mention it so I'll assume you don't) the center load will buy you no advantage since with that exception it is electrically identical.

Chev_am

The factory antenna was a standard "Rubber Ducky" which comes with the PRO-94.

Status
Not open for further replies.