Which one is right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtotheham

Hi all,

new to posting here - long time user.. I just have a question in regards to the type of scanner I need to hear rebanded trunks. The link to the state wide trunk I would like to hear is:

I’m seeing the Uniden BCD436HP and BCD536HP as capable. I know you get what you pay for and those are spendy, but what could work that’s more economically friendly.Easy use is not required, but always helps. I’ve looked at the RadioShack Pro-107 and Whistler ws1040/1080. Still not familiar enough with these new radio systems to know which will work.

thanks in advance!!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

new to posting here - long time user.. I just have a question in regards to the type of scanner I need to hear rebanded trunks. The link to the state wide trunk I would like to hear is:

I’m seeing the Uniden BCD436HP and BCD536HP as capable. I know you get what you pay for and those are spendy, but what could work that’s more economically friendly.Easy use is not required, but always helps. I’ve looked at the RadioShack Pro-107 and Whistler ws1040/1080. Still not familiar enough with these new radio systems to know which will work.

thanks in advance!!
I would rule out the Pro-107 right away. That's an analog only scanner. While the majority of the talkgroups on your statewide system are analog (based on the letter A in the mode column), the system has at least on digital TGID. Any future upgrade to this system, or most any system in your state, would likely be one of the digital formats.

The WS1040 is based on a design from more than a dozen years ago. It's only capable of P25 Phase I. P25 Phase II is the mode that a great many of the newer public safety systems are using.

The WS1080 is discontinued, but may still be found as a previously owned unit for sale on the classified ads here on RR, and on eBay. It will, at least, do P25 Phase I or Phase II, as well as DMR (MotoTRBO). It is a database scanner, which makes it a little easier to program.

The 436HP & 536HP are also database scanners, and cover P25 Phase I & Phase II. A paid upgrade is available for DMR and/pr NXDN.

If any P25 Simulcast systems are planned for your areas of interest, all of these three scanners (WS1080 & the two Uniden models) are your best choice for simulcast. The 436HP/536HP might be marginally better for simulcast, but in severe cases, you may still have issues. Any of these scanners can handle rebanded systems without problems. The current Whistler database scanners, the TRX-1 & TRX-2, also have no problems with rebanded systems, and can handle DMR as well as NXDN .

newtotheham

I would rule out the Pro-107 right away. That's an analog only scanner. While the majority of the talkgroups on your statewide system are analog (based on the letter A in the mode column), the system has at least on digital TGID. Any future upgrade to this system, or most any system in your state, would likely be one of the digital formats.

The WS1040 is based on a design from more than a dozen years ago. It's only capable of P25 Phase I. P25 Phase II is the mode that a great many of the newer public safety systems are using.

The WS1080 is discontinued, but may still be found as a previously owned unit for sale on the classified ads here on RR, and on eBay. It will, at least, do P25 Phase I or Phase II, as well as DMR (MotoTRBO). It is a database scanner, which makes it a little easier to program.

The 436HP & 536HP are also database scanners, and cover P25 Phase I & Phase II. A paid upgrade is available for DMR and/pr NXDN.

If any P25 Simulcast systems are planned for your areas of interest, all of these three scanners (WS1080 & the two Uniden models) are your best choice for simulcast. The 436HP/536HP might be marginally better for simulcast, but in severe cases, you may still have issues. Any of these scanners can handle rebanded systems without problems. The current Whistler database scanners, the TRX-1 & TRX-2, also have no problems with rebanded systems, and can handle DMR as well as NXDN .
Thank you so much for this input! You just deciphered the parts I was unsure of. I was thinking it would be more beneficial to get a newer one to do P25 phase I&II and be ahead of the game because I’m sure they will be upgrading at some point.
Thank you again!! 🙏🏽

Status
Not open for further replies.