Which one to choose??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUSHFAN

Hi guys. Living in the Bergen County section of New Jersey,I've been wondering if the BC340CRS or the
BC370CRS would fill my needs without breaking the bank. Also,which model would be best for the near
future?
Any info for this newbie would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
RK

scannersnstuff

it all depend's on what you want to target your listening toward's. if you have any trunking or digital radio system's those will not do it. let us know. we'll make some recomendations.

DJ88

According to the database here, the only public safety trunk system in Bergen County is Fort Lee, which is both trunk and P25 digital, so you wouldn't be able to monitor that system. All of the other municipalities use conventional analog systems, so either scanner would work okay for them. I'm speaking of Bergen County alone here. If you think you may want to monitor municipalities in any of the surrounding counties that you may be close to, you should check the database here to see what types of systems they operate on (conventional or trunk, analog or digital). If you need help navigating the database, post and we'll help you. Also, you would not be able to monitor the State Police as they operate on a trunk system.

SCPD

QRT
Rushfan,

When considering a scanner there are two basic considerations.

1. What are my current needs, or what do I want to monitor right now?
  2. What are my future needs, or what will I be monitoring in the near future? (Next 6 mos to a few years out)
In general in my circles of scanner hobbyist most persons will want to expand their horizons in this hobby.
If your just interested in motoring you local town and perhaps a few surrounding towns a simple scanner with out the "bells and whistles" might "float your boat" or be to your satisfaction. However if you get "bit" by this "scanner hobby bug" as most do, you then will indeed want to expand and monitor all you can.
Also with the re-banding and re farming of frequencies, the advent of agencies going digital and the FCC requirement of agencies going to Narrow Band FM over the next few years. You might want to consider purchasing a scanner with these abilities. It may cost you more, and you may have to wait to save up the $, but at least you will have a radio to grow into.
So do your home work and research carefully. Read up on the various scanner specs. Throw out your questions in the various forums here at RR. The people here will be glad to guide you.
In the end the final choice is up to you. Good luck in your endeavors of finding that "perfect" scanner!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.