which one to get Provoice or DMR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyrfyter33

I'd go for the DMR key then. In the long term you will get more out of it, than the EDACS key.

MARCS is what most are switching to. The last place around here running an EDACS system was the airport and even they upgraded to a new Motorola system.

fyrfyter33

There are probably a number of amateur repeaters you can hear on DMR as well. It is quickly becoming the digital mode to have, since the entry price for licensed hams is so cheap.

You might want to see how many of those are nearby as well.

phask

Premium Subscriber
You can't use Freescan for DMR. Proscan for $50 will.

Unless there is some Ham , I wouldn't even bother. In your QTH as you said, not much, some schools and DuPont. I think the AEP is just that they are licensed and not used - but maybe not. They list one 7 miles from me and never heard anything.

Not much Provoice in the entire state.

troymail

Silent Key
If money is tight, there's no point to paying for anything unless you have a reason to use it/something you want to listen to... You probably need to do more research and/or gather info from those around you to determine if it's worth it at all.... and you can't necessarily trust the FCC ULS data...

lucky43113

Thanks for the info I think ill wait no big rush. Other than the stuff RR has listed are they any bands worth scanning to try to pick up something that's not listed here, or would it be worth trying the close call feature?

wd8chl

You can't use Freescan for DMR. Proscan for $50 will.

I just upgraded my 996P2 to DMR, and programmed it with Freescan just fine. Haven't tried a TierIII system yet, though.

Just sayin'

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I just upgraded my 996P2 to DMR, and programmed it with Freescan just fine. Haven't tried a TierIII system yet, though.

Just sayin'

Just curious if you are programming a Conventional, DMR One Freq, or MotoTRBO system? Are you entering in TDMA Slots and Color Codes?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Just sayin'
You may have programmed the scanner with FreeSCAN, but except for entering conventional DMR frequencies as "digital/search", FreeSCAN does not support DMR. You can still use FreeSCAN to program everything else (analog and digital conventional, as well as analog & digital trunked systems, P25 Phase I & Phase II).

I have a couple of DMR systems in my 325P2 (hand-held sibling of the 996P2). The systems were created in ProScan, then loaded to the scanner. Trying to download the scanner (with DMR systems) back into FreeSCAN only gives errors, unable to set the site. It finally defaults them to Motorola Type II, which would not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.