which one would do better

Status
Not open for further replies.

af5rn

Not sure where Lafayette is, so I can't tell what sort of systems you are monitoring, which is one of the more important factors to consider when choosing an antenna.

Overall, the second antenna is hard to beat for all-band performance. Definitely beats the first one. But pretty much anytime you drill a hole in metal, you're going to do better than a mag mount. Also, the first antenna ends in a Motorola plug, which will require an adapter, unless you have a really, really old scanner.

There may be something even better, but without knowing what systems you are monitoring, there's really no way to tell.

tbharper

Premium Subscriber
Not sure where Lafayette is, so I can't tell what sort of systems you are monitoring, which is one of the more important factors to consider when choosing an antenna.

Overall, the second antenna is hard to beat for all-band performance. Definitely beats the first one. But pretty much anytime you drill a hole in metal, you're going to do better than a mag mount. Also, the first antenna ends in a Motorola plug, which will require an adapter, unless you have a really, really old scanner.

There may be something even better, but without knowing what systems you are monitoring, there's really no way to tell.

its in Macon County Tennessee they operate in the 150 range

af5rn

Wow! Looks like literally EVERYTHING in that county is high band! Must be nice! Oh, how I miss those simple days! :lol:

The Larsen is definitely the better antenna, but if you have no need for 800mhz, or even UHF, I'd opt for a more narrow-banded antenna, more specific for your listening style. Just a cheap 1/4 wave VHF whip (around 16-18 inches) would get better VHF performance for you than any multi-band antenna at three times the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.