Which one??

Status
Not open for further replies.

car2back

The BCT-15 is basically the same as the 996 except it doesn't recieve digital and the 996 does (someone correct me if I am wrong). It looks as if the 996 is nearly twice the cost of the BCT-15, as well.

What are you planning on/hoping to monitor? Unfortunately, niether will decode EDACS Provice so you're SOL when it comes to OKCPD & FD.

Unless you are dead set on Uniden or the GPS thing; I'd suggest looking at the RS Pro-2096: It recieves both 3600 and 9600bps P25 digital, it's rebanding supported, fits DIN-E dash openings and costs less than the 996. PeterJMag will also tell you GRE (Radio Shack) scanners trunk track better and sound better than Uniden. My next radio will be a Radio Shack. (I currently own 2 Unidens, btw.)

Last edited:

fireant

Currently the only digital in the metro is TSA, Federal Transfer Ctr, VA Security, Tinker and a local Ham P25 system. I don't see OHP going digital anytime soon not enough money and need other things like more troopers bad. I am in the same boat you are its a tough choice I say you cannot go wrong with either the BCT 15 or the 996T. I like them way better than the Radio Shack models out.

fireant

freqscout

There is actually about to be a huge expansion project for the DPS system in OKC. There is a chance that you might see digital in OKC before the end of the life of the scanner. There is plenty to hear in other places if you do any travelling. I think Tulsa has some digital, too (one of the Tulsa guys can chime in here).

As far as OKC you can hear the fire tone-outs of the OKC EDACS system with a non-digital scanner since the tone-outs are in analog. I listen to them on patrol because they get calls before the police do quite often.

The only thing with RadioShack scanners is that I do not believe that there has been a promise to support the massive rebanding project where every 800 system will have their radio frequencies modified (put most simply). Other than that, I love my Radio Shack PRO-2055 analog scanner. I use it at home and leave it in the PD car when I am on days on. Works good for everything in the metro, for now.

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I got the 996 and I'm very happy with it. It replaced my bct8. If your on the road a lot out of state like I am, it's great. If your just wanting local OKC, the 15 will work for now, till digital shows up.

Jim

jrplmil

hey skywatch I got a new Yaesu VX7R and went to the closest hill and got into ELK City ok but no one to talk too. That was at 8 last night. I got in to Leon the day before on my Alinco DJ-S11 running 300 mw ok from the same spot. Are you and Leon the only two in the area?

fireant

You can order it from uniden its like 20 bucks. Another thing you have to buy the software which is around 30 bucks as well.

fireant

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
There are a few of us still on the repeater, I mostly monitor during the day at work and during storm season as I have the Emerg Mgmt duties here.

Most of the old timers have faded away from the club. btw, the tower is about 5 west of Elk on Country Club rd. The tower has a lot of "reach" I've hit it from weatherford before. Have you tried the Granite repeater from there? 146.715, lot's of traffic on it. it links up to several other towers, and OKC I believe.

I'll be off till tuesday, maybe we can connect. I've got to run to OKC today.

Jim
KE5FEK/KE5AZY

fireant

I ordered the BCT 15 yesterday. I will give you my thoughts on it once it arrives. The BCT 15 does not have the sleeve which for me thats fine but for other folks my be a problem. I think it should but it has been stated it was left out to keep the price down. I did not get the BCD996T because of the current lack of digital at this time. In the future there will be more I know just hate to buy digital now and they come out with a digital scanner that does more or has features I gotta have.

fireant

freqscout

The DPS system will most likely make it's expansion after it gets rebanded. The MWC services are getting a large site and will be joining the system. EMSA will be joining full-time as well. Edmond and Norman will be switching over as well. I bet Moore and Del City will go before too long as well. Village PD will join their FD on the system. I don't think Warr Acres or Bethany are going anytime soon but they might if the price is right and the money is there. OCPD's four main dispatch channels wil join the system as well as OCPD's DPS link radios. When OCPD's dispatch links come on anyone on DPS will be able to talk directly to OCPD on their 800 as well so there will most likely be a good deal of OCPD radio traffic on the DPS system at times.

As to wether Troop A is going digital....no idea. The Tulsa area is moving that way from what I hear so I bet the rest of the system might eventually join them. The way that Troop A is set up they cannot currently do digital from what I hear.

SECOEMS

700mhz

I would get the 996 since it does 700mhz I am told that Radio Shack does not have a scanner that will do 700. In CO we are already seeing 700mhz systems and half and half (700 & 800) systems pop up. In the Future you will see OK do the same thing with their public safety network as 800mhz freqs become unavailable. Hope this helps.

okccsi

freqscout said:
I bet Moore and Del City will go before too long as well. QUOTE]

Moore definitely has the money. Del City might take a bit longer for them to realize dreams of big city life. Tons of tax money is going to be pouring in from the new SuperCenter, but other set projects are in the works to be completed first. Yes, they are getting a nice budget increase, but the police department wants to upgrade its overall image by getting better equipment and hopefully better officers. They have some good guys over there, but with all departments, when the package is more attractive, you get better applicants.

I know they have talked about upgrading their communications systems, but they mainly discussed upgrading current equipment. it will be interesting to see if they choose going to the DPS system before any of the other projects they "say" will come first.

OKC CSI

OKMEDIC

thanks for all the input guys. Will probably wait and get the 996 or if they come out with a better one by the time I'm ready to buy. Any idea when EMSA is going to join the 800's??

car2back

OKMEDIC said:
.... Any idea when EMSA is going to join the 800's??

I'll assume your talking about EMSA in OKC right?

Their Mutual Aid TG "7 W" came online in the last 3 months, so I'd say it's soon.
(the Talkgroup was inactive in the console where I used to work since it was installed in fall of 2005)

freqscout

Haven't heard anything about OKC FIRE as of yet. The Alert TG is in analog so it can still be heard.
The comms plan is to start using the NPSPAC repeaters for multiagency/system response either directly or through the links so that the FD guys can talk to state system guys. This has been practiced and will be practiced again soon. You guys listen careful on the NPSPAC channels and some other MA channels this month for comms practice stuff.

freqscout

EMSA will not join full time until after rebanding since there is already too much activity on the state system for its four active repeaters at it's site. The DPS exec staff has refused to let anyone else on until there are more channels at the site. EMSA is also holding out for the better coverage of a multisite/simulcast system here in the metro. The one site does not cover the entire city very well and the EMSA group covers a lot of places where the coverage is not stellar. The EMSA guys have to be able to use their handhelds everywhere and that is pretty hard to do in the metro with the one site. The EMSA crews have to be able to call for help from their HH's since they commonly come across situations that require police response when they did not need it originally and running back to the rig and separating could make matters worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.