• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Which portable audio is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
Motorola
Efj
Kenwood
Icom
RCI
Midland
Racal
Ma/com
Thales
Bendix king
Etc
Which portable single band p25 & FM radio has better sounding audio at lo and hi volume?
Better as on cleanest, clearest audio?

My moto astro25 because of the EQ settings, and vp6/900s again because of EQ settings in CPS.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Our officers were using a mix of Motorola XTS or older MTS-2000's.
When I switched them to Kenwood, several of them commented on the "better audio".

I've used many of the others, but not side by side like that.

Motorola makes/made great radios, but Kenwood has the lead on the audio side.

WB9YBM

Motorola
Efj
Kenwood
Icom
RCI
Midland
Racal
Ma/com
Thales
Bendix king
Etc
Which portable single band p25 & FM radio has better sounding audio at lo and hi volume?
Better as on cleanest, clearest audio?

My moto astro25 because of the EQ settings, and vp6/900s again because of EQ settings in CPS.

I'd suggest the following: buy the scanner that has the features and capabilities you need for what you want to listen to, never mind the audio. After that, look at the audio as a separate issue: try different speakers by plugging them into the "EXT SPKR" jack until you find one that has audio that you like the best. Maybe even add an audio equalizer / amp / bookshelf (or car) speaker, if you want to go "whole hog".

BMedcom

I don't think the OP was speaking of scanners. Their question was related to best opinion on audio for commercial grade P25 radios. My personal answer would be the XTS series hands down. I never cared for Kenwood, they sounded too full of treble and too much like a tin can effect.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
My efj5100 has better audio on the P25 simulcast system I monitor than any other, including Motorola xts3000.

WB9YBM

I don't think the OP was speaking of scanners. Their question was related to best opinion on audio for commercial grade P25 radios. My personal answer would be the XTS series hands down. I never cared for Kenwood, they sounded too full of treble and too much like a tin can effect.

Thanks for the clarification. Although with radios (all of them) having shrunk so much over the last decade or so, they share the common problem that built-in speakers have shrunk right along with the radios and those itty-bitty speakers aren't as good as their older counterparts in reproducing good audio, so what I said before might still apply.

KD4FUN

Premium Subscriber
I have been a fan or Motorola Audio, whether I am using my HT or CMD 1250 in my POV

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I've always came back to Kenwood when it comes to audio, specifically my NX 5700. I have owned many other brands and always seem to come back to Kenwood.

Onelick

100 yards west of the east branch of the Antietam
I think alot of it also has to do with both the system design and the vocoders. My APX8000 on PA's new state system makes people's voice sound like some electronic robot. Even though I've been talking to these people for 20 years or more, I don't recognize their voice on the radio unless they use their unit ID. Motorola is the only brand I've used on a P25 digital system. BKTechnologies is the only radio I've used on a VHF digital nontrunked system, so my experience base is limited.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I think alot of it also has to do with both the system design and the vocoders. My APX8000 on PA's new state system makes people's voice sound like some electronic robot. Even though I've been talking to these people for 20 years or more, I don't recognize their voice on the radio unless they use their unit ID. Motorola is the only brand I've used on a P25 digital system. BKTechnologies is the only radio I've used on a VHF digital nontrunked system, so my experience base is limited.
The APX has a lot of adjustments for audio quality.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Only if you know how to get to it. The adjustments aren't anywhere I can get to. I probably need the software and codeplug to get to it, which PSP certainly isn't going to give me access to.
You're luck PSP is even issuing portables. With Open Sky half of the troopers didn't even carry portables.

12dbsinad

The GE MPD series portables. The controls suck but the audio was one of the best IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.