Which Radio for Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

trashcan

Radio Shack sells 2 hand helds a Uniden 72xlt 100 channel $99 radio Shack brand 200 channel also $99 .both good radios if you want to monitor the thing you mentioned and the local Police (Southfield).
They will not pick up any digital

JoeSig

I have benefited much from this thread.

Over time I am hearing less and less - It's amazing how much less now I realize I am not hearing.

I am going with the advise hear that getting digital is really the way to go - yes expensive, but I want to enjoy the monitoring hobby, which as of late has been diminishing by the week.

Thanks for the candor here, I realize I did not initiate the question, but got a lot out of it just the same.

Thanks

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
So many frequencies, so little time......

I can only echo what others have said about digital being the way to go if you are even half-way serious about monitoring. I got a digital trunking scanner (PRO-98) in 2006, after MSP in my area switched over to the MPSCS. Wow. There is so much more on the MPSCS than some people realize. There is a National Guard facility, a federal building, a large ambulance service, not to mention local law enforcement...I guess it has become one of those things, like a cell phone, that after you have had it a while, you don't know how you got by without it. I only wish that my scanner also picked up military air band. I have hung on to my old RS PRO-2004 only for that reason. (Someday the budget may allow for an upgrade.) Since emergency/disaster response has long been an interest of mine, I have all the EVENT TG's, Dept of Public Health, MEDCOM, & a lot of other "stuff" that is normally silent, however when the ca-ca hits the fan, has the potential to become quite active. I also never travel without my scanner & my ham radio, so I have my most frequent destinations all programmed as well.

As a side note, I can date myself & say that I can remember when a 4-channel crystal scanner was plenty!

dnoyeb

I'm having a tough time choosing a radio. Last year I bought a Uniden BC346XT. I live in Southfield. I drove to Grand Haven with the radio last fall. It was cool but all I really listened to were non-trunking signals. Local amusement park. Fast food joints. Some strange weather reporting stations or something. I guess everything was digital trunked!?

I think that strange weather reporting was probably Skywarn!

Status
Not open for further replies.