Which Radio for Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnoyeb

I'm having a tough time choosing a radio. Last year I bought a Uniden BC346XT. I live in Southfield. I drove to Grand Haven with the radio last fall. It was cool but all I really listened to were non-trunking signals. Local amusement park. Fast food joints. Some strange weather reporting stations or something. I guess everything was digital trunked!?

Anyway, it was all interesting. But I am stuck with a dilema. Either I need to go full digital trunked and get most of the stuff available, or I need to roll back to just analog non-trunked stuff.

I feel like, either I should focus on civilian chatter, or go digital and focus on government stuff. I'm stuck.

Since I know what is available for digital (BCD396XT), I am asking what is available for analog non-trunked? Is the best scanner for analog still the 346XT?

The digital is so expensive, and its just something I tinker with, so its hard to drop that much cash when its not my job.

Thanks for the tips.

trashcan

You are fine in Southfield with the radio you got but for the most part all over Michigan alot of county and all of the State police have gone to Digital .Now thats not saying that there is still some analog in Michigan .The area you live in Metro Detroit has gone mostly Digital except for that small pocket near you Farmington Hills Southfield and some Citys noth of you in Oakland Co are still on analog but for
Oakland Co a large part of it is or has gone to the OPEN-SKY system .
Its exspensive to to buy a digital Scanner but I come across PRO 96's all the time used on craigslist for $200 and up and this site has a area that members sell items as well .Hope I was of some help

If you ever decide to analog trunking,There is new radio that GRE just starting to come out with. It is the PSR-700. It does analog trunking
Starts at $229.00. But as trashcan said the Pro 96 is a good radio to have.

trashcan

In a very short time in the Detroit area there will not much left on analog trunking for Law enfocement Oakland is switching to OPEN-SKY -- MPSCS is digital the only one left is Livonia on a analog trs .
most of the Detroit area is on MPSCS or a stand alone Digital System of their own ,
So I would not suggest a analog trunking scanner at a cost of $229,00 for the Detroit area if you want to monitor Police other than his area of Southfield and some other Wayne and Oakland Co communities left on the old analog radios that may or may not switch to a new system .Buy a used Digital radio see if you like what you hear you can find them on R&R - craigslist - e-bay - ham swap meets
But in my opinion it be a waste to buy a analog trunking scanner for the Detroit area

SCPD

QRT
The Wolverine State

You live in Michigan. Get a digital radio. Yes, there is, and probably always will, be pockets of analog activity. But in Michigan, there is just way too much stuff on digital now to not make a digital scanner the choice if you are contemplating a new one.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't spend the extra unless you need it... Nothing of value is on digital for most of the state, while many counties are part of MPSCS - many more are not (and never will be.) Just weigh the value of that extra $200 or so for digital.

dnoyeb

I'm thinking about going analog trunking again. I can see the tide headed toward digital, but I am not really making any money with the Scanner, just tinkering so to speak. Plus, knowing how technology is, you can never be future proof. In 3 years I probably would not want to buy today's digital radio.

My true desire is to find a really good non-trunking analog. The trunking around here I did not listen too all that much. But with the Uniden, the trunking radio had so many other nice features that it was worth the extra above the non-trunking analog radios.

I better stop before I really start to swing back and forth...

trashcan

Nothing of value on digital ???? .There is alot digital in the Detrot area that he lives in.

Macomb Co. City of Detroit. MSP. Wayne co Sheriff . Western Wayne Co .all on a digital system of some kind .now if you only want to monitor your area Southfield - Farm hills a analog will work just fine .What is it you want to listen to ?????

313RADIO

While the prices of current generation digital scanners is high, you can still get and older scanner for less on the used market. The first gen of digitals didnt work as well decoding, but if your not listening to p25 that much you prob will be ok. Given the number of agencys in michigan using the digital systems, you should really should consider getting a digital scanner.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Nothing of value on digital ????

I agree with you aND your stuck question mark button ;)

His post was about the state of Michigan. MOST comms in the state are not on MPSCS. He also mentioned that he doesn't want to spend the money unless it were required to listen. That's my point.

trashcan

Then I guess he will be fine with the radio he has if there is not much on digital . I left out any q-marks for the safety of all .

nsrailfan6130

@dnoyeb:

I have to agree with Wyandotte. Metro Detroit is digital heaven (except Oakland Co. which is OS) and it would be naive to think that Southfield would not go to OS if it came down to interoperability with the other local departments in OC. So either way Public Safety in Analog in your area is fading a lot quicker than you think, especially where public safety is concerned. It would be a good idea to save your money and go for a digital. Just my opinion.

dnoyeb

I don't have a radio yet.

Maybe I should ask like this; Why wouldn't a non-trunking scanner be enough for you? Why wouldn't an analog trunking scanner be enough for you?

I don't think there is a need for me to "have it all." I'm trying to figure out how I can limit myself, even if I don't get everything.

dnoyeb

Is there anyone that does not have a digital trunking scanner?

Right now the score is 75% digital trunking, 20% analog trunking, 5% non-trunking. I don't want to do it, but I think I will have to defer to the advice I asked for.

nsrailfan6130

To chime in on KDEYF's post, it (Analog) wouldn't be good enough for me either since I listen to:
Lucas Co. P25 Digital
MARCS P25 Digital (In NW Ohio)
MPSCS P25 Digital (In S Michigan)
SAFE-T P25 Digital (In NE Indiana)

trashcan

I don't have a radio yet.

Maybe I should ask like this; Why wouldn't a non-trunking scanner be enough for you? Why wouldn't an analog trunking scanner be enough for you?

I don't think there is a need for me to "have it all." I'm trying to figure out how I can limit myself, even if I don't get everything.

let me ask you this what area do want to monitor just Southfield police or MSP- Detroit police ? up north tow trucks fast food ?

dnoyeb

I like fast food restaurants, stores like Costco, Walmart, etc. Golf courses. Most interesting were the amusement park maintenance on MURS? and families using GMRS. Maybe that stuff is not all that interesting. Maybe its just that is what I was able to hear with my Uniden BC346XT for the 1 month I had it.

If I had a big ole antenna I'd probably hear a lot more. I also enjoy riding my bike and listening except it was tough to push the keys necessary to follow a conversation while riding the bike.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
If that's all you want, stay analog. There's no reason to pay more.

Again - it all depends on who is digital in your area, and what you want to listen to. I _never_ use the digital portion of my scanner unless there's something big. Nothing of value is digital around me.

Status
Not open for further replies.