• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Which radio(s) is this rfguys programming cable compatible with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDR-94

I've had this old rfguys cable for years and it never would connect to any of my P7100/P5100 or 700P/Pi radios, that I had tried using it on at the time. The number on the cable indicates that it's compatible with the LPE/P7100/700P/Pi radios however, the pin arrangement isn't quite the same as the OEM L3HARRIS programming cable. Could this by any chance have been an attempt at modifying into a keyloader cable, even though it doesn't seem to connect in that regard either?

rfguys Cable.jpg

Cable Pins 1.jpg

merlin

That is for the M-RK, LPE prism series. (SKU 33950)
The pinout matches Jaguar 700P, P71xx, P7200, P5100, P5200, but with these radios, you have to hold the UDC together. that or buy SKU 33176 (RS232) or 37176 (USB) from RF guys.
While the keyloader cables look identical, the "R" sense is different and puts the radio in keyload state.

TDR-94

The pin arrangement,on this cable,isn't exactly the same as the OEM programming cable. I'm aware of the resistor value needed to make the OEM prigramming cable into a key load cable.

merlin

The OEM and RF guys cables are different but the pogo pin placement is identical. Pin assignments are identical.
The difference in the shell and how it mates to the radio doesn't fit well and why the need to hold it in place when tightening the thumb screw.
The fit on the LPEs is worse, start the screw - force the back edge into the radio then really tighten the thumb screw. Use a penny in the slot. Same thing for the Jaguar and similar, tighten the dung out of it or you get the radio won't initialize error.
I was going to butcher a speaker-mic for a test cable, but the UDC is not fully populated with pins.
I finally broke down and got the 33176 with the 1/4 turn lock, works perfect but wont mate with MRK or prism.
The 33950 will also mate with MI-II and the M-PA but the pin assignment for each of those is very different.

TDR-94

This rfguys cable shell was already modified previously to fit the P7100. That's not an issue. RPM never recognizes that the radios are connected.This cable and the OEM I have, don't have the same pin placement.It was given to me,so it may have never worked to begin with. There were known issues with rfguys cables being DOA or just not wired correctly.

merlin

When I say tighten the dung out of the connection that is seriously what it takes. The rubber boot over the pins holds the pins too high on the radios.
I question your OEM cable being for the P7100.
I no sooner submitted my last post when I found my circuit board for the UDC, the board from a P7100 speaker mic and 'identical' to the 33950 UDC. I got some photos, sadly with my worst camera but the only one to focus close up for any detail. Note this aligns perfectly with all my radios except the M-PAs Note pin E34 is vacant.

Attachments

• UDC backA.jpg
    UDC backA.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 4
  • UDC backB.jpg
    UDC backB.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 5
  • UDC pinA.jpg
    UDC pinA.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 4
  • UDC pinB.jpg
    UDC pinB.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 5

merlin

I can't rule out a bad cable, but before you condemn it, the contacts on my 7100(and 700P) are recessed a little.
Maybe get rid of the rubber that hits the frame. That should let the pins make good contact. If that fails, then you can scrap it.
RF guys is the only 3rd party vendor I know of that puts their products to test and lists the radios tested with.
I know my cables have been through hell, hundreds of connections,tightening til they make sound and still work fine.
Even a couple M-RKs took some hefty tightening to work.
6 cables for Ericsson, 3 for Icom, 3 for Kenwood, and they have all worked.

Last edited:

TDR-94

There are two rfguys cables for LPE-200 HP Prism radios. The 33950 and the Com-Net LPE-200 HP Prism 33150.Even though this cable has the 33950 model number on it, I'm betting it's actually the 33150,that was mislabeled,instead.

TDR-94

Here is a picture of the L3HARRIS OEM programming cable. The rfguys cable, that I have, doesn't have the same number of pins or the same pin arrangement.

IMG_1965.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.