Which scanner antenna is better performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BITT211

Hello , need some advise on antenna upgrade , Have Motorola cdm 1250 uhf / Radio Shack pro 197 , and Motorola Minitor 4 [tones set up Buffalo Fire [alarm of fire alert] , anyway all hooked into with Stridgesburg Multicoupler , antenna mounted ,50' tower , 120' run , 1/2 " Heliax coax.
Antenna currently using -Commercial TRAM -1486 -406-512 MHZ -6.5 DP GAIN , Looking to take a dive and spend $$$
for a OMNIX SCANNER BASE ANTENNA. * Noting , main freq's are within 424-460 mhz. , and only couple high bands , no low band. Heard a lot of good things about OMNIX ANTENNA, NEED SOME INPUT.
WILL the omnix out perform the tram. thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Never used one of those, but I'd suggest looking at some other options.

A 50 foot tower with 1/2 inch heliax is a pretty good setup. The OmniX antenna you mentioned doesn't really supply much gain, only 3dBi, which isn't much. Looking at the price, I think you can do a bit better.

For the same price range, you can get a pretty good dual band amateur radio antenna that will work quite well on UHF and VHF, providing some more gain. As a bonus, if you ever got your amateur radio license (assuming you don't have one already) you'd have a really good setup for 2 meters and 70 centimeters.

Probably nothing wrong with the OmniX antenna, I'm pretty sure the guy from DPD hangs out on this site, so you'd have that going for you. I just think you can do better considering your decent setup with tower and coax you already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.