Which scanner can do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an avid outdoor enthusiast and often backpack into remote areas of California's backcountry.
Illegal and armed/ dangerous pot growers are moving into these areas. I need a scanner, light, portable,
good battery life that would be suitable for backcountry use and would pick up the more than likely frequencies the growers guards would use. I need to identify remote areas *not* to venture into. Preferred a scanner that can pick up transmissions at a distance or some type of ultra light deployable antenna to extend range. Any suggestions?

SquierStrat

meh, nothing wrong with illegal pot growers, IMHO.

we need more info to recommend you a scanner though. what part of cali are you in? are the pot growers the only thing you're interested in listening to?

CompuDoc

If you want a scanner that will listen in on the guards for the marijuana farms you might be better off learning the Spanish language first. If they are going to be broadcasting anything it will more than likely be on FRS but I highly doubt they broadcast anything because the DEA would be able to listen in and know exactly where they are at.

If you want a scanner that will listen in on the guards for the marijuana farms you might be better off learning the Spanish language first. If they are going to be broadcasting anything it will more than likely be on FRS but I highly doubt they broadcast anything because the DEA would be able to listen in and know exactly where they are at.

Personally I think we should end prohibition, 3 Americans murdered in Mexico today. I am interested in mainly this application maybe Border Patrol but I guess I could buy something with more options. Mainly concerned about backcountry security. I am in San Diego County and in 2009 we had another bust just a few miles from a Border Patrol check point the armed guards escaped into the bush an area I like to visit. This species of pot grower is much more dangerous than some peace loving hippie in Mendocino, these are armed dangerous drug cartels that have migrated from outside of Country to our Public lands all over California. They are armed they set booby traps and are not friendly. wouldn't it take a big operation and big resources for DEA to listen for FRS in backcountry?

whiskeytango

squier...those pot growers are of the mindset: shoot first, ask questions later. its an unfortunate downside of our perfect climate that invades our perfect wildernessesesesssss,

outdooradv... hike closer to tahoe...not as many gangstas

judas12

Get a Uniden 396XT it will do the job. As an outdoorsman myself, i also carry my Sig .40 cal on my hip, my Glock 21 on my thigh, my .357 magnum in my back pcket (2.5 inch barrel) and my 12 gauge or my AR-15. It depends where im hiking and what im hunting. If i ever do run into any pot fields, i will definately take my share, at least alittle for the drive back home. But always arm yourself when hiking. You never know when a non English speaking mountain lion might sneak up on you

j86u

Get a Uniden 396XT it will do the job. As an outdoorsman myself, i also carry my Sig .40 cal on my hip, my Glock 21 on my thigh, my .357 magnum in my back pcket (2.5 inch barrel) and my 12 gauge or my AR-15. It depends where im hiking and what im hunting. If i ever do run into any pot fields, i will definately take my share, at least alittle for the drive back home. But always arm yourself when hiking. You never know when a non English speaking mountain lion might sneak up on you

Wow, if things go bad I think I want to be on your side.

judas12

Wow, if things go bad I think I want to be on your side.

LOL. You should see what i have in my house and next to my nightstand. I am ready for war. I still dont know why i have 10 scanners and double that in guns, i guess im allitttle bit on the defensive or offensive side.

N0IU

LOL. You should see what i have in my house and next to my nightstand. I am ready for war. I still dont know why i have 10 scanners and double that in guns, i guess im allitttle bit on the defensive or offensive side.
... or paranoid!
My wife has a 9mm on her side with 15 rounds of hollow points and I have a 12ga double barrel on my side. Of course we also have 6 dogs!

And if you know what frequencies the guards of those pot fields are using, then you already know waaaaay too much!

N8IAA

I am interested in mainly this application maybe Border Patrol but I guess I could buy something with more options. in 2009 we had another bust just a few miles from a Border Patrol check point the armed guards escaped into the bush an area I like to visit. They are armed they set booby traps and are not friendly. wouldn't it take a big operation and big resources for DEA to listen for FRS in backcountry?

First, Border Patrol uses encryption on their radios. So you are SOL there. No big operation needed by the DEA to monitor FRS. But, do they? I don't know and I'm sure the pot defenders use other methods to communicate. There are plenty of new and used radios on the market for them to use. Signal Stalker and Close Call require that you be close enough to hear the signal. Of course, a bigger higher gain antenna is neccessary to hear transmissions further away. Again, you get that close, they've already seen you;) Just be careful the guys in green don't mistake you for a bad guy:D
Larry

davidbond21

I am an avid outdoor enthusiast and often backpack into remote areas of California's backcountry.
Illegal and armed/ dangerous pot growers are moving into these areas. I need a scanner, light, portable,
good battery life that would be suitable for backcountry use and would pick up the more than likely frequencies the growers guards would use. I need to identify remote areas *not* to venture into. Preferred a scanner that can pick up transmissions at a distance or some type of ultra light deployable antenna to extend range. Any suggestions?

One thing that nobody has mentioned, is that while you may have benign motives, if you are seen backpacking into and out of areas suspected to be used for grow-ops(even if unbeknown to you) carrying a scanner, it might look suspicious as Johnny Law may think you are listening out for him while traipsing through the outback and not to trying to avoid the actual criminals. As long as your backpack isn't filled with with gardening implements and fertilizers or harvested product, you should be able to convince any law enforcement you are what you say you are.

First, Border Patrol uses encryption on their radios. So you are SOL there. No big operation needed by the DEA to monitor FRS. But, do they? I don't know and I'm sure the pot defenders use other methods to communicate. There are plenty of new and used radios on the market for them to use. Signal Stalker and Close Call require that you be close enough to hear the signal. Of course, a bigger higher gain antenna is neccessary to hear transmissions further away. Again, you get that close, they've already seen you;) Just be careful the guys in green don't mistake you for a bad guy:D
Larry

so which scanner would do the job if they are using other than FRS? Uniden396XT? couldn't I make up an easy field deployable antenna to keep me a mile or two away? To answer a few of the other comments, these guys are in all areas North of the checkpoints. I am not worried about being mistaken for a pot grower as I have a legal right to hunt public land I have nothing to hide from LE. The areas I am planning to scout do not have any LE out there unless they have some operation going on which is highly unlikely.
I do indeed carry a sidearm or 2 while in the backcountry.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Oh here we go with the usual legalize pot and border patrol nonsense soooo....

The SIMPLE answer to your question is you don't need a scanner, you need to STAY OUT OF THOSE AREAS! If you're lucky you'll hear a shot, run like hell, you won't hear the second. On the other hand you could wind up in the wrong place at the wrong time and get caught up in a raid, clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am caught in the middle with you.

And if you're taking your friends
Out to hunt
You'd better park the car
Well out of sight.
Cause if they catch you in the woods
Trying to pick their pot,
They're gonna send you back to mother
In a cardboard box.
You better run.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Without knowing the target's specific frequencies, getting a radio hit on them is going to be harder than getting a hit from them.

But, since it is unlikely that there are other radio users in the area, you might have good luck with the Close Call feature on Uniden scanners. In low-RF environments you can get a hit w/o programming anything from a mile or so away (and a mile hiking in the wilderness can be a several-hour seperation).

raisindot

Are there no cell towers in these areas, making radio communication the only option?

I can't imagine any people conducting these kinds of activities (or the Feds) using anything other than cell phones or encrypted radios to communicate, since they'd know how easy it is for radios to be monitored by others.

Jeff in Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.