which scanner for Rowlett

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhatty

Looking to buy my first scanner. I am in Mesquite (Dallas county), but want to listen in on Rowlett (Dallas and Rockwall counties) traffice. Does anyone know if this is possible - or is the distance (may 20+ miles) too far. I spoke with Scanner Master in Boston and they said it probably would not pick up that distance. But, suggested using a Texas forum discussion to see if anyone was doing this.

Thanks...

digitalanalog

Which scanner is not really what your title should be, your better off asking which Antenna.

Regardless of the scanner (as long as it is one that is capable of the freq's desired)
at that distance you would be better off asking which Antenna will do the best at long range in reference to the frequencies your trying to hear.

What are the Freq's/systems and what are you willing to do to achieve the range in question, - inside antenna, outside antenna,how high, etc.,etc.,etc.,.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Looking to buy my first scanner. I am in Mesquite (Dallas county), but want to listen in on Rowlett (Dallas and Rockwall counties) traffice. Does anyone know if this is possible - or is the distance (may 20+ miles) too far. I spoke with Scanner Master in Boston and they said it probably would not pick up that distance. But, suggested using a Texas forum discussion to see if anyone was doing this.

Thanks...
That's the problem with dealing with someone (Scanner Master or any other dealer) that's not really familiar with the area.

Rowlett is on the Garland trunked radio system:
Scanner Frequencies: Garland Public Safety Trunking System, Garland, Texas

Unless you're so close to a cell tower it overloads your scanner (it does happen, but we are talking extreme here), or some other really weird circumstance, like you are down in a very low area, as js_scan said you'll hear the Garland system from Mesquite. You're too close to them not to. I can hear them from southwest of downtown Dallas, at least 12-15 miles farther away that you'll be. You're definitely not 20 miles from Garland or the closest tower for their system.

A more important question is what else do you want to listen to?

For now, the only digital systems in the DFW area Grand Prairie and Mansfield. Texas DPS also uses digital, but not on a trunked system. Greenville, in Hunt County, also uses digital, but not on a trunked system, as do several cities and counties along Lake Texoma, if you get up that way.

There has been intermittent discussion both here & on the DFWScan Yahoo group that several other cities or counties are exploring the idea of upgrading their current system to digital, or building an all new digital one. The point being, digital is not prevalent at this time, but may be a consideration in the future.

Any analog trunk tracking scanner that will handle Motorola Type II systems will handle Garland. (Mesquite is the same type of system as Garland.) Be sure that the unit you are looking at will be upgradeable for rebanded systems. That includes most all of the current production trunk tracking scanners. The most popular models,from Uniden & GRE, all fit that requirement. And, these would handle the other analog (non-digital) frequencies & systems in the area. One other consideration: Some of the non=digital scanners will receive mil-air (military aircraft) frequencies, others will not. If that's an interest, whether for general listening, or at events like the Alliance Air Show, be sure that coverage is included.

Give a few more specifics as to what else, besides Rowlett, you might want to hear, and also whether you are looking for a handheld scanner (portable) or a base/mobile, to sit on a desktop. Remember that the handheld, with an ac adapter, can be used at home, and also carried with you.

SCPD

QRT
Yupper's, I stream Rockwall County from 55 miles away and I get 4 out of 5 bars on the Rockwall City trunked system at the same distance. As well do I also Hear Garland (About 40 miles South of me) The only Trunked systems I can't hear at Great Distance is Plano, Carrolton, and Points East. But if your in Mesquite, you'll have NO problem with Garland/Rowlett/Sachse, Rockwall City, Richardson even Plano. Unless your down in a hole, you should have no issues. And even if you do, there are solutions (Signal Amplifiers, Professional Antennas, ect.)

I have a Pro-160 in the car, Radio Shack has them for 97 bucks, And the Radio shack at Mockingbird/Greenville has a few in stock. its a 20 bank Scanner with some nice and not so nice features. It will easily handle most of the trunked systems in Dallas, Collin, Rockwall, Tarrant, Denton and East Texas Counties. It will not hear, ONCOR, D/FW Airport, GP, Duncanville/Cedar Hill or DART. If your not big on spending the Money on Digital at this point, the BCT15 would be a great Scanner, it allows EDACS Wide & Narrow, Splinter VHF (12.5/6.25Khz narrowband) and is just a Great scanner.

Be careful in Buying from Radio shack, the store employees are liable to sell you a scanner saying it will trunk track everything yet not be capable or anything except DPD and DSO.

Last edited:

dhatty

Thanks for all the information, it is appreciated. Obviously, I do not know anything about radio scanners. My interest would be scanning local police/emergency/weather traffic in the local DFW area, particularly Rowlett police. I would prefer a hand-held scanner over a desk model. Another newbie question - do you have to program the scanner to pick up frequencies, or is it capable of doing this without any manual programming?

thanks....

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the information, it is appreciated. Obviously, I do not know anything about radio scanners. My interest would be scanning local police/emergency/weather traffic in the local DFW area, particularly Rowlett police. I would prefer a hand-held scanner over a desk model. Another newbie question - do you have to program the scanner to pick up frequencies, or is it capable of doing this without any manual programming?

thanks....
It has to be programmed.

Any of the scanners that can receive system, or systems, you want, can be programmed by hand. See this site. However, if you are putting in a number of frequencies, or talkgroups on a trunked system (like Garland's or the one in Mesquite), you'll find it's much easier to do that using software and your pc. Especially when you start labeling all those channels or with their text tags.

Depending on which scanner you get, it's likely that you can get a programming file for the scanner from one or more of the following places:
Someone here on RadioReference- There are a number of DFW area members, with various model scanners, that could give you a jump start.
The DFWScan Yahoo group- Again a large number of members, with multiple models of scanners, one of which is likely compatible with whatever you decide to buy.
Most of the scanner models have dedicated Yahoo groups. Some of these also have files for this area.

SCPD

QRT

thanks....

I'd also strongly recomend the Radio Shack 800Mhz antenna for $19.00 800MHz Scanner Antenna - RadioShack.com Its well worth the extra few dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.