Which scanner is best to sell...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouieCT

Premium Subscriber
I have recently upgraded my base setup with a SDS200 and find myself having an extra radio. I have a Whistler TRX1 and a Uniden BCD436HP with DMR upgrade and and NXDN. Both radios dont get used much these days since I use my SDS100 and now my SDS200 primarily for home listening. My state system is heavy simulcast so the TRX1 and the BCD436 are useless to me, Question is which one would you keep around? Im leaning on keeping the TRX1 just have a different radio in the arsenal other than Uniden. I look fwd to your everyone's input. Thank you

73 Louie

LouieCT

Premium Subscriber
i know the differences, remember these are both surplus radios for me.....I am a Uniden guy normally but for some reason, I feel like the TRX1 is good to have since all my other radios are Unidens. Kind of diversifies the collection

K4EET

Chaplain
i know the differences... <snip>
Roger that. I was just trying to show that side-by-side, the comparison shows that the Uniden BCD436HP is slightly better than the Whistler TRX-1 from a feature and specification viewpoint. That is why I would pick the 436. That being said, the TRX-1 is a nice scanner too if you like Whistler products.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
While neither the TRX-1 nor the 436HP are the best choice for simulcast systems, the 436HP would be my first choice to keep.

However, the TRX-1 is a nice "handy" size to grab & go, and I like the way it, and most of the other GRE & Whistler scanners handle recording. Much easier to use EZ-Scan and sort like recordings (same system, talkgroup, or frequency) into a longer chain of recordings. Makes it easier to review, and with a number of "same source" audio files played as a longer file, you might have a better shot at Identifying unknowns. Of course, you can accomplish much the same as that if running the 436HP (or the SDS series scanners) in a Discovery session.

In my area, the Whistler/GRE scanners suffer greatly from intermod, cell towers, and adjacent channel transmissions, but if that has not been an issue for you, then it might deserve more consideration. However, if you travel, and use a GPS, the 436HP has the advantage over the TRX-1.

DJ11DLN

I'm a Grecom/Whistler guy but in your shoes I would keep the 436, both for commonality of programming and because you can attach a GPS and use it when traveling.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I would keep the TRX-1 because of DMR coverage. I know it will be said that the Whistler does not 'properly' track DMR, but it ran neck and neck with a Uniden SDS200 w/DMR upgrade. It does well with DMR

DJ11DLN

I would keep the TRX-1 because of DMR coverage. I know it will be said that the Whistler does not 'properly' track DMR, but it ran neck and neck with a Uniden SDS200 w/DMR upgrade. It does well with DMR
In his original post he says that the 436 has the DMR upgrade...just sayin'.

Ubbe

You get the most money from selling the 436. I think it is more wise to have scanners from different manufactures as they could have different bugs and functionality and perform differently. The TRX recording system is great and it's frequency Sweeper is terrific and it has a strong audio AGC action and some other things that are done better than in Uniden scanners. As it will sell for less money I suggest you keep that TRX-1.

/Ubbe

Bob1955

While neither the TRX-1 nor the 436HP are the best choice for simulcast systems, the 436HP would be my first choice to keep.

However, the TRX-1 is a nice "handy" size to grab & go, and I like the way it, and most of the other GRE & Whistler scanners handle recording. Much easier to use EZ-Scan and sort like recordings (same system, talkgroup, or frequency) into a longer chain of recordings. Makes it easier to review, and with a number of "same source" audio files played as a longer file, you might have a better shot at Identifying unknowns. Of course, you can accomplish much the same as that if running the 436HP (or the SDS series scanners) in a Discovery session.

In my area, the Whistler/GRE scanners suffer greatly from intermod, cell towers, and adjacent channel transmissions, but if that has not been an issue for you, then it might deserve more consideration. However, if you travel, and use a GPS, the 436HP has the advantage over the TRX-1.
Whistler/GRE always has suffered RF-Intermod. Uniden Bearcat is a MUCH better product and front end.

Status
Not open for further replies.