Which scanner is the right one for today

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenspoor

At present I own a Radio Shack PRO 137 and like it a lot. I have been told by some friends and the folks at RS that the way to go is Digital because thats the way the future is leading.. The Pro 137 isnt of course but the PRO 106 is more expensive but IS digital and has many more features including trunking. I live in Maine and dont know when digital will take effect here. I would like some feedback on what to do. I want to pick up the 106 if it goes on sale...... if digital is the way to go.... your help will be deeply appreciated.

kpoe_28

At present I own a Radio Shack PRO 137 and like it a lot. I have been told by some friends and the folks at RS that the way to go is Digital because thats the way the future is leading.. The Pro 137 isnt of course but the PRO 106 is more expensive but IS digital and has many more features including trunking. I live in Maine and dont know when digital will take effect here. I would like some feedback on what to do. I want to pick up the 106 if it goes on sale...... if digital is the way to go.... your help will be deeply appreciated.

More and more conventional P25 digital channels popping up everyday, You may have some departments around you using them now and just don't realize it.

djl998

It depends entirely on what you monitor in your local area. A lot of agencies are converting to digital voice and/or trunking systems. If everything in your area is analog conventional, you should try to find out if there are any plans to upgrade to something else. If not, you'd be wasting your money buying a new scanner you don't need.

writer777

RE: Digital vs. Analog in Maine

I am from Buffalo, NY, and travel to York, Maine once a month for business. And each time I find that there are more and more Public Safety agencies converting to digital. While the majority of communications are still analog, at the rate they are changing it will only be a matter of time before all communications become digital. And not just in Maine, either!
And while we're on the subject of digital scanners, I myself own the new Pro-106 from Radio Shack. If you decide to purchase this, you will find that the manual is extremely confusing, to say the least. But if you have a good handle on scanner programming, and you read the manual a few times, you will soon find that this Pro-106 is really not that hard to program. At present it lists for $499.99, but I bought mine on sale for $399.99 a few months ago, so I would wait for this sale price if you're serious about this purchase. It is a great scanner, just take your time and learn the programming.

N8IAA

Why not ask in the Maine Forum?? Bet you get better answers than asking here in General Scanning Forum:)
Larry

maybe one avenue to take is to go for the pro96.theyre pretty plentiful on ebay,most of the time half what a 106 will run you.
it will cover any p25 needs you may have,lotsa V-Folders,some even get good reception under the extended freq's option.

drawbacks,No LTR,No ICalls,No PC Control,Bulkier Case...

for the bargan,go pro96,for the newer,more optioned out,,pro106-psr500..

Status
Not open for further replies.