Which scanner to take on vacation??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenderblue

Going to take a few days thru the corners of 3 states, got a HP1 & a new BCD536HP. No gp's on either one of them. Both of them have the database as long I put a ZIP in every 50 miles or so. I don't want to program of stuff in them. I really want to take one of them. What would you do??-Program or use the ZIP on one of them?

hd625b

Premium Subscriber
Take both. A good opportunity to see how both work on a road trip. Don't know much about either of your scanners but it seems like the zip code deal would be the easiest of the two options. Can you program in all the zip codes before you leave? You could take a laptop and program as you go. I did this when I drove from California to Nebraska.
MtL

phask

Premium Subscriber
FWIW - I've done the zip route/thing. Actually had a pre-printed list and changed every 50 or so. IMHO - it's a pita :)

I do have a GPS and use it - I had a plug failure and did not realize until too late.

There also is an IOS app that does zip for where you are if that helps.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the "take 'em both" notion. I'm a "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" guy.

If you'll encounter simulcast systems, the 536 seems to handle these quite well - better than the HP from what I understand.

fenderblue

I will probably take a zip list. Have two all band antennas so I could take both. Will take laptop anyhow so I could mess around with programming in the evening. I really like the HP1 as I can see the screen a lot better if I have it on the corner side of the dash next to the speaker.

yaesumofo

Going to take a few days thru the corners of 3 states, got a HP1 & a new BCD536HP. No gp's on either one of them. Both of them have the database as long I put a ZIP in every 50 miles or so. I don't want to program of stuff in them. I really want to take one of them. What would you do??-Program or use the ZIP on one of them?[/QU

Take the HP1.
The whole point of it is portability.

I picked up a 436 and a 536.
When going OUT OF TOWN I will be taking one single scanner with me. the bcd436HP.
The 436 is all the scanner I will need when travelling.
it hears so well I am very pleased.

Yaesumofo

n5ims

Another option when you have both scanners with you on a trip is to stagger which one is primary for an area. For example, use the HP1 for the first part of the trip, the 396 for the second, back to the HP1 for the third, and back to the 396 for the forth. That may make it easier to swap them around (vs. keying in the zip code every few miles). It should also make certain transitions a bit easier (e.g. up to the state line on one scanner and past it on the other). It may also help if one system has larger coverage than another so you don't miss traffic on the state-wide system while you drive through a city or county that uses another system.

fenderblue

The 536 worked better although I didn't swap antennas. Had a better antenna on the 536, A Tram $60 w/mount etc., other antenna on HP was just a multi-mag $22. 536 easier is more customer friendly for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.