which scanner tough decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

retiredupsguy

hi everyone , heck of a time deciding on a scanner ,choices are on craigslist uniden bcd396t already programmed for my area $250.00 or the radio shack pro106 or pro197 brand new for 269.00 from radio shack online. does anyone have an opinion, common sense says spend the 19 dollars and get the new one. but my parents bought a 2nd hand digital uniden table top model (5 yearsago) and it is a fantastic scanner, have not owned one since everyone around here was analog, now 80% are digital so figured might be fun to own one again, thanks for any help or opinion

sjlamb

Well... the short answer would be that a "used" radio has an inherent risk that a new radio does not have. Smart money says buy new for the small difference in price.... or you could ask one of those fortune telling 8 balls. A new Pro-197 for $269 is a pretty sweet deal.

Last edited:

Tryton

That's the thing, I was doing some " Homework" and the 996xt was announced in March or April of 09. It seems they release in a 3 year cycle. Now GRE I have no idea.. soo If my calculations are correct, we may hear about the 996xt replacement in a few months..

What do you think Uniden would call it? I have no idea where they get the numbers from

Last edited:

Tryton

Well, if you don't have a scanner at all, and the live feeds just aren't doing it for ya, buy one. But, if you can hit the streams and wait, than wait till one of the big dogs releases a new scanner.

zzdiesel

I'm going through the same dilemma. I'm going to buy a digital portable for the bedroom come tax return time. I'm debating on the Pro-106/PSR500 or the PSR800/HP1. Hopefully I'll have my mind made up by then.

scanningisfun

I'm going through the same dilemma. I'm going to buy a digital portable for the bedroom come tax return time. I'm debating on the Pro-106/PSR500 or the PSR800/HP1. Hopefully I'll have my mind made up by then.

If you do anything, go with either of the handhelds or the 396XT. Not the PSR 800...

Clark

That's the thing, I was doing some " Homework" and the 996xt was announced in March or April of 09. It seems they release in a 3 year cycle. Now GRE I have no idea.. soo If my calculations are correct, we may hear about the 996xt replacement in a few months..

What do you think Uniden would call it? I have no idea where they get the numbers from

Don't forget the Uniden Home Patrol HP-1 was introduced since the 996XT.

Clark

All I can tell you is that I purchased the HP1 about six months ago, and I could not be happier. I really like the way I can update it weekly for free and can travel with it anywhere in the country and it is already pre set for where ever I go Just enter the zip code or connect the gps to it.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
those are great prices for new... id personally say go with the NEW one
the 396T is a great scanner but who knows how it was used/abused, any problems with it (that the seller isnt mentioning), etc etc..

the 396T could be as old as 2005 (which that model year had a few problems - first production run of that small form factor), possibly 6 going on 7 year old scanner

The 106 will be NEW, and with warranty. If your really stuck on the uniden look to a 396XT.
A couple people have got another $10 or more off that sale price as well.... remember you may need an ac adapter, program cable etc etc
nothing is included with the 106 its basically a bare bones radio

Or just buy one (or two of each)... thats what I did.

Last edited:

rwier

I wish I knew his feelings too. I'm leaning towards the PSR 800 or the HP 1. :confused:

Well, I have one of each in my vehicle. Around town they split duty. One does Fire/Rescue and the other does PD. Both are doing simulcast/multisite/p-25 system very effectively. Sometime I switch their assignments around, lol.

If I leave Maricopa County (travelling), the HP-1(E) is a big pleasure factor for driving to other places.

Next to my bed I have a 600 running 24/7/365. My dreams have "real" sound effects, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.