Which scanner type for Clark County, NV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Efelix20

I'm new to this forum and I figured I could ask the question here to get a quick answer. I'm in the market for a scanner and I'm in Las Vegas. I really want to follow Clark County Fire and their TAC channels and I know they may be in the middle of an upgrade. I'm looking at the Uniden BCD325P2. With this being a trunked scanner would this scanner be capable of following Police/Fire/Emergency Service/AMR/aviation in the Las Vegas area near me? I just don't want to invest in one and find out I won't be able to get any of the mentioned because the agencies are not on a compatible system. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Las Vegas Metro is P25 Phase II

Local Fire departments and hospitals are on SNACC which is P25 Phase I

Nevada Highway Patrol is on NSRS which is currently EDACS but is upgrading to P25 Phase II in a couple of years.

Any scanner with Phase II (P25II) will work, it just depends on what bells and whistles you want. I have the BCD436HP, its okay, it works, but is a pain in the *** to program even with the software.

br0adband

The BCD352P2 (the P2 there I think is meant to convey P25 Phase II support but I could be wrong) is more than capable of monitoring all the local police/fire/EMS traffic in the Las Vegas metropolitan area without any problems. As far as programming is concerned because of how it works with the Sentinel software it should be pretty easy to get up and running within 5 minutes out of the box but that's just how I look at it - the Sentinel software once installed should be updated to the latest available database info, then that transferred to the scanner would be a relatively painless operation overall.

The S.N.A.C.C. system - the big huge multi-agency system here in our area that covers pretty much every police and fire and EMS service except the LVMPD is now fully moved over to using P25 Phase I - the LVMPD is the only system using P25 Phase II in the 770 MHz band in our area and of course the BCD352P2 covers all of that without issues.

Now, as for programming it with a lot of custom stuff that could be a bit more complicated, sure, but since Sentinel itself pulls from the RR database it means programming the data already there won't require much in terms of hands on.

iirc the BCD352P2 is also capable of using the DMR upgrade ($60 at last check) to allow for DMR decoding (another digital format spreading fast) and here in Las Vegas there is a ton of DMR activity in the 450-470 MHz range these days, a few uses in the 150-155 MHz area, and a few in the 850-860 and 935-940 MHz areas as well with more expected as time passes and systems move from analog to digital.

So yes, the BCD352P2 will allow you to monitor all the services you specified and more if you get that upgrade which is entirely optional and not required if you don't wish to monitor local businesses that are moving towards DMR.

And welcome to RR. :D

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Clark County Scanner

Get the BCD536HP. No limits to memory, expands to mototurbo /dmr and edacs provoice (Not in this area). Also wifi and apps. Seems more to come firmwares keep getting updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.