Which software for Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
I am not aware of any software that runs on a Mac. You're only options may be to buy a cheap used PC with Windows Xp, or if you have a newer Intel based Mac, you can run Windows Xp or Vista using Apple's Bootcamp or Parallels Desktop for Mac software. Running Windows on an Intel based Mac actually works very well for those PC programs you just can't do without.

Dave

firemedicJD

I am not aware of any software that runs on a Mac. You're only options may be to buy a cheap used PC with Windows Xp, or if you have a newer Intel based Mac, you can run Windows Xp or Vista using Apple's Bootcamp or Parallels Desktop for Mac software. Running Windows on an Intel based Mac actually works very well for those PC programs you just can't do without.

Dave

Thanks, if there wasnt any programs from Mac then I was going to use Windows XP through VMware but I am trying not to go online through windows in fear of viruses.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks, if there wasnt any programs from Mac then I was going to use Windows XP through VMware but I am trying not to go online through windows in fear of viruses.
Get yourself one of the free virus programs and free firewalls for windows. The good thing is even if you get any viruses on your windows VMware, they won't affect your Mac files/applications or operating system

Dave

JBuff27

The whole reason for me to go to a MacBook recently was to get away from Microsoft altogether and Windows. Therefore I would not like to add Windows to the Mac.

Mac users will tell you that there is a lot of software marked "Universal" which means that it will work on both a PC and A Mac. Some of them have for downloading a different version such as Firefox and Adobe.

But there are others like Open Office where there is only one version that will work on both machines
It seems that some even are able to detect that the machine is a Mac and download a ".dmg" file which is for the Mac. The .dmg extension is an Apple type file.

Now it would be VERY helpful if at least one if not more of the Software people could come up with a Universal Program not dependent on the Windows model. This might be only a separate "APP" that could somehow handle it, that is to make a conversion.

As an example for the longest time a site out of New York "The Bravest", for the FDNY, would only work with Windows IE and WMP and so required a PC. Recently, this last week, I tried again, just to be sure I ran the site on the MacBook and what do you know it came up load and clear. This is also on Firefox without WMP, but an Apple APP to act like WMP. So things can be done and do change.

Thanks for all the good input.

Jbuff27

Status
Not open for further replies.