Which software should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scan_madison

Went through some old threads and did some reading. Looks like ProScan is recommended by most folks along with Audacity, xCorder etc. I have seen some recommendation of Linux based software but I prefer Windows. Here's what I have and what I want to accomplish:
* Analog scanner in manual mode monitoring one frequency
* High quality audio cable
* Old laptop with Windows 7 is available for 24/7 usage

What I want to accomplish is the software that records the scanner audio continuously but in chunks of certain time periods (like half hour). I really don't need that audio to be streamed but such feature would be nice. Finally, if the hard drive gets full, the software should delete the older recording first and keep recording. Oh, and time stamp of the recording is critical.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

NYRHKY94

ProScan has a fully featured 30-day free trial. Considered by many here to be the best all-in-one software program on the market. You can test drive everything (including recording, remote control & streaming) and see if it works for you before buying. Nothing to lose:

ProScan

dwh367

I use Rec-All by Sagebrush Software. If you use the loop function you can set the amount of time you want it to record and then it'll loop the -recording first in first out. They have a 30 day free trial. No signup or credit card required.

scan_madison

I use Rec-All by Sagebrush Software. If you use the loop function you can set the amount of time you want it to record and then it'll loop the -recording first in first out. They have a 30 day free trial. No signup or credit card required.
Thanks. Will give it a shot. If it does the time stamp, I'll be ecstatic.

scan_madison

So far so good. I had to fiddle around a little bit about recording device so it was not recording the ambient sound from the computer. Seems to work. Only thing is it was not letting me save the file in MP3 format. Instead, I am saving in WAV format. Maybe I need to play more with the settings. Thanks again!

dwh367

scan_madison

dwh367

Different question: The recording I made contains lots of noise after each transmission. Is there a software that can automatically remove such noise in one sweep?

That noise is known as MDC 1200. Although there are several uses for it the main one is for radio identification. I'm not aware of any software that will remove it from the recordings.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

scan_madison

That noise is known as MDC 1200. Although there are several uses for it the main one is for radio identification. I'm not aware of any software that will remove it from the recordings.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Here's another snippet of the recording. This one sounds little different.
Dropbox - Roger_2.mp3 - Simplify your life

I noticed only few handsets make this sound. Thanks again for all pointers so far. You guys are awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.