Which software to use for programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasebo1970

I want to program my old 396XT scanner and wondered what’s the best software to use and where do I get the cable for it? Do
I sign up with RR as a premium user and download Freescan or some other software and will they supply the cable? Looking to program local police, fire, along with state highway patrol etc for Florida so any tips for that? Thanks.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I use BUTEL ARC software for the BCD396XT and am a premium member with RR in order to be able to use the automated programming feature.

But you can forget about Florida State Police as they (and most all other police agencies) are encrypted in Florida. Check RR for what is and is not encrypted. I’ve found RR to be up to date on whats encrypted.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
I use FreeSCAN and no need to be a Premium subscriber, but you will need to find a cable and most likely a USB to Serial adapter. I use a Tripp Lite USA-19HS and there also may be firmware update for you to install.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Since the 396XT does not do DMR or NXDN, FreeSCAN is all your need and it is FREE! Downloads - Sixspot Software ARC-XT is for the BCT15X, 396XT, 996XT, 325P2 and 996P2. You can also use ProScan which supports many more scanners. ARC-XT and ProScan are paid programs. ARC-XT Basic is all you need to program your scanner. The Pro version has virtual control and logging functions. Both ARC-XT and ProScan have free trial periods to see which you like best before purchasing a key. If you give us your city, and county, we can check what is monitorable with your scanner in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.