which to use for scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluestallion

Hey guys im putting up my tower hopefully this weekend, and was wondering which one of these antennas i should use for my scanner? I have both sitting in the garage. I have one of the ebay pvc dual band antennas to use for the ham bands. Just was wondering which i should put up to get best results. most of freqs in scanner are within 40miles of me.

Attachments

• coper jpole.jpg
    coper jpole.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 268
  • scanner antenna.jpg
    scanner antenna.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 256

LtDoc

If your choice is between just those two antennas, and you also want to use it for the 2 meter/70cm bands, then I'd use the 'dual band' antenna. If you can put up both antennas, you have the chance to see which works the best for the particular scanner frequencies you want to listen to, and use that one. Scanning or receiving antennas don't have to be resonant anywhere to just listen. That transmitting antenna does (or should be). It's much easier to 'compromise with a receiving only antenna than a transmitting antenna. Right?
- 'Doc

bluestallion

correct. I will be using a completly different antenna for 2m/70cm then the ones shown. Just wasnt sure which one of these 2 would be better for scanner, as all my freqs are in the range that i listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.