Which Works Better On P25 Simulcast? HP-1 Or 396/996XT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I realize that this might be considered very subjective and may depend quite a bit on your location and system you are monitoring, but for those that have BOTH the Uniden Home Patrol HP-1 AND either the BCD 396XT or the 996XT, does one sound or work better than the other AFTER the most recent firmware updates for the BCD396/996XT? The reason I ask this is because I am wondering with the latest firmware update if the BCD396/996XT now has the edge or if they are now essentially equal? I live in Minnesota. The ARMER system here is an 800 MHz digital, trunked simulcast system. The performance that people have reported seems to vary quite a bit depending on the radio and location.

SquierStrat

A very good question I've been wanting answered too.. there was a thread about it a.couple days ago that got closed and redirected to a gre vs uniden thread, somehow.. couldn't quite figure that one out considering it was related to THIS question in no way whatsoever...

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
A very good question I've been wanting answered too..

I've been wondering the same thing myself. Friends swear the HP is better, and has a slightly longer range, but I'd love to hear others opinions.

there was a thread about it a.couple days ago that got closed and redirected to a gre vs uniden thread, somehow.. couldn't quite figure that one out considering it was related to THIS question in no way whatsoever...

I was left scratching my head about that too, almost wrote a PM asking to have it re-opened, but figured they must of had a good reason I was missing.

And JAS, Thanks for asking this question! Hopefully we'll get some good replies. Have a great day :)

JASII

Memory Capacity
Which Works Better On P25 Simulcast? HP-1 Or 396/996XT?

You are quite welcome. Yes, I did have another post and the moderator sent me an email about it and I think it looked similar to something else, so it was moved.

ButchGone

Having both the HP1 and 396xt my experience has been the 396 decodes P25 simulcast much, much better than the HP1. Sitting on my work desk the HP1 hears OK, but has some choppy moments. On the road in the car the HP1 is deaf on p25 siumulcast while the 396 is much better. The HP1 just lights up the talk group ID but there is no audio when I can hear what is being said on the 396. I know your mileage may vary depending on the system, but they are using the standard Motorola Astro 7.xxx system that is also used elsewhere.
I just updated the firmware on my 396xt so I will have a better idea in the coming days whether the digi update helps here.
The GRE PSR-800 sounds and decods great and it does TDMA X2, the proprietary Motorola TDMA format that is standard fare on all the Astro 7.xxx systems.
That's how things work on the Tennessee P25 system.
BG..

SquierStrat

You are quite welcome. Yes, I did have another post and the moderator sent me an email about it and I think it looked similar to something else, so it was moved.

Just curious, What was the explanation for moving a thread about 2 unidens, into a gre thread?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.