• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Which wouxun would work for my needs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gm991

So I want one of these and don't know which to buy.
I want is to able to program in all the gmrs freq. To talk on
And be able to load up my local police and fire (480mhz range) to listen to like a scanner.

KG-UV6D-2.5*
(full range coverage for public service)*
2.5 Khz Tuning Step - compliant with new FCC rules for Land Mobile Service
TX & RX - 136-174 & 420-520 *(frequency range can not be changed by owner)

KG-UV6D-IC1*
(full range receive, ham band transmit)*
5 Khz Tuning Step - the standard for Amateur Radio
RX - 136-174 & 420-520
TX - *144-148 & 420-520 *(frequency range can not be changed by owner)

KG-UV6D-IC2*
(full range coverage for ham, MARS, public service)
5 Khz Tuning Step -*the standard for Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2G-38) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

The top one would serve your needs.

gm991

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2G-38) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

The top one would serve your needs.

Dam I knew it the most expensive one.....lol
Just so I can start to learn this stuff what do the other two NOT do that I want?
Is it the 2.5 Khz Tuning Step? If so why do I need it?

Thanks

I meant you should look at the KGUVD1P; its cheaper. I have one and you can definitely program GMRS.

Last edited:

gm991

I meant you should look at the KGUVD1P; its cheaper. I have one and you can definitely program GMRS.

Yeah I was looking at those (KGUVD1P) but I have found that not all of those models can be programmed to recieve up to 520mhz ( my local police and fire are 483.xxx)... What I want for the scanner needs
Can allll of that model go up to 520??

Thanks

Yeah. I thought that was the case too until I bought one and punched in a 520 freq. It worked with no problem. You might want to call and make sure if it can. Google Main Trading Company and give them a call.

ipfd320

Banned
i have a dual band kg-uvd1p hand held and it does not go into the 480 band....uhf freq range on mine is 400-480.000 vhf range is 136.000-174.995......also the radio will not key up after the freq of 475.000 and up-if you try to put in a freq higher than 480 it brings you back to 400

Last edited:

gm991

Yeah. I thought that was the case too until I bought one and punched in a 520 freq. It worked with no problem. You might want to call and make sure if it can. Google Main Trading Company and give them a call.

Checked out the web site
Wouxun KG-UVD1P Handheld Special Offer! $109.95 Shipped! | MTC

And the specs say up to 470mhz
Did you buy one from here and it really goes to 520?

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I'm surprised the SAPS (Self Appointed Police & Sheriffs) haven't chimed in questioning the validity of this radio - is it FCC Certified?' Most of the times they do so without checking, but this one (the UV6) is (Thank God!).

The one you are looking at is a dual bander which is nice to have. Not knowing how much you want to spend, you may want to get one that does alpha-numeric display so you can name the channels instead of just having the frequency on it.

Being able to program on the fly is good, but on these Asian radios, it sometimes takes a degree in physics to figure it out!

Good luck with YOUR choice and welcome to the world of GMRS!

gm991

I'm surprised the SAPS (Self Appointed Police & Sheriffs) haven't chimed in questioning the validity of this radio - is it FCC Certified?' Most of the times they do so without checking, but this one (the UV6) is (Thank God!).

The one you are looking at is a dual bander which is nice to have. Not knowing how much you want to spend, you may want to get one that does alpha-numeric display so you can name the channels instead of just having the frequency on it.

Being able to program on the fly is good, but on these Asian radios, it sometimes takes a degree in physics to figure it out!

Good luck with YOUR choice and welcome to the world of GMRS!

I'm not sure how much I want to spend....;);)
Can you recommend something different used even. Im not set on the newest and latest and greatest.

ipfd320 said:
i have a dual band kg-uvd1p hand held and it does not go into the 480 band....uhf freq range on mine is 400-480.000 vhf range is 136.000-174.995......also the radio will not key up after the freq of 475.000 and up-if you try to put in a freq higher than 480 it brings you back to 400

I guess mine was unlocked? ?

nd5y

Wouxun radios come in several different versions that cover different band segments.
Some only transmit in the amateur bands.
Apparently some of the newer ones can't be unlocked.
You need to study the specs carefully to make sure you buy the version that covers what you need, and as far as I know none of them are Part 95 certified for GMRS.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Not all

And although the Commander program allows entry of out of band frequencies, they don't work in every radio. And they make a darn poor scanner.

thomast77

And although the Commander program allows entry of out of band frequencies, they don't work in every radio. And they make a darn poor scanner.

KG-UV Commander works for the KG-UVD1P, KG-UV2D, KG-UV3D models. It does not work for the KG-UV6D. And I have found that it actually makes a decent scanner if you don't scan too many channels at once. Their is an option in the Commander program to set the radio to only scan certain channels. I programmed my counties SO and Fire freqs (Make sure you leave the transmit freq empty so you don't transmit on Public Safety channels) About 10 freqs total, So it does not scan all of the channels just the 10. It actually works better than I thought it would and the sound quality is better than my Uniden scanners. Which was a big surprise to me. It is not a replacement for a scanner though.

gm991

The kg-uv2d would do what you want. That's what I have. It is cheaper than the KG-UV6D. And the owner Ed provides excellent customer service. Wouxun KG-UV2D Dual Band HT for Ham Radio. You will also need KG-UV Commander to unlock it to transmit on GMRS and to program the radio. Its real easy and free. You will also need the usb cable to unlock and program the radio from your computer.

thanks
just went to the web site and it doesn't look like they stock the 136 - 174 MHz & 420 - 520 MHz
radio....:(:(:(

gm991

I just want to be able to listen to my town police and fire not scan 100 ch. all the time.

So thomast77 works nice if you want to just scan 8-10 freq.?
Nice, just what I need.
I have a scanner , when I want to scan a bunch.

soooo is it safe to say from these spec's from Wouxun.US
that this radio will do what I want to do?

KG-UV6D-IC2*
(full range coverage for ham, MARS, public service)
5 Khz Tuning Step -*the standard for Amateur Radio

Last edited:

LtDoc

Probably any of the HT's you specified would work if all you are going to do is listen. Paying attention to the specs makes a lot of sense!
The earlier versions from Wouxun, the 1's, 2's, and 3's will also 'hear' the frequency ranges you are interested in (specs again!).
I can't say about the '6's, I don't have one. I can say that you do NOT want to use the programming software for the earlier versions with it! Wouxun warns you about that too.
Scanning isn't the fastest in the world with any of the Wouxun radios. The earlier versions are 'one chunk' type scanners, you have to 'skip' the channels you don't want to scan, it'll scan all of them if you don't.
Unless you want to be able to transmit on those frequencies also, I would have to say that the Wouxun radios probably aren't your best bet. (At the risk of making somebody mad, no, they are not legal for use on the GMRS/FRS/MURS bands.)
If any of Wouxun's stuff suits your purpose, get one. If not, why bother? Be prepared to do some 'learning', they are not the easiest things to use. They have a different 'style' of programming.
- 'Doc

(The 2.5 'step' thingy isn't really necessary for most applications, only those that are required to have narrow banding.)

Status
Not open for further replies.